CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

First gen.transfer case fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Default First gen.transfer case fitment

I have a 1st gen CR-V whose transfer case bearings are shot. I can replace the entire unit from the local junk yard cheaper than the cost of new bearings. Will a transfer case from a manual tranny fit an automatic? From what I see, they look the same but I don't want to pull one out of a manual if it will not work in an automatic. I called my friendly dealer and he said he has never sold the bearings, so I have faith that a used unit will work just fine. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:33 AM

I believe the transfer cases differ from automatic to manual transmissions, but I'm not certain.
Here's the update...The new bearings would have cost around $150 - $200. The local bearing shop (not the dealer) estimated the new bearings to be around $150-$200, but I was able to find one in a '97 at the local u pull the part salvage yard for $80 + $35 core charge. It felt tight so I finished removing it (someone else tried to get it but they couldn't get the exhaust pipe out of the way) and I hurried home giggling like a little kid. It fit right in but I soon realized the exterior housing was different than my '01. The '01 has a longer boss on the bolt hole that the support bracket attaches to so my bracket would not work. Back to the salvage yard!!!! Fortunately the '97's bracket was still there. It mounted up to the engine perfectly and I only had to buy a new metric mounting bolt. I filled it with fluid and she runs like new......so far. So, if you find you need to replace your transfer case, take the bracket too!