General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord won't downshift

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Default 92 Accord won't downshift

I have a 1992 Accord that just had work done at a local shop. I believe the only work done that was relevant to the issue I'm having was replacing the front flex pipe, but for the sake of painting a complete picture the work also included replacing the resonator, replacing the brake assemblies (rotors, drums, and shoes), an A/C recharge, and an oil change.

After picking the car up and driving it around a bit, I noticed that once the automatic transmission upshifted, it wouldn't shift back down. I tried restarting the car multiple times, but the transmission stayed put in the highest gear I had reached up to that point. It is currently stuck in what I believe is the 2nd highest gear and won't come down no matter what speed I'm going. This is only for Drive positions though. Park, Reverse, and Neutral all work correctly. The dashboard indicator for the gear shift also permanently displays Overdrive in addition to whatever position the shifter is actually in (e.g., in Park it displays both Park and Overdrive).

I never had any issues with this before I brought the car in for work so I suspect the mechanic accidentally hit/broke something. Does this seem likely to you? And if so, do you have any idea what or how? I know next to nothing about cars, but I'm trying to find enough information to at least be able to discuss with the mechanic what happened.

Let me know if I left out any info that would help and I'll try to respond as best I can. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2016, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. If the mech serviced the trans with normal fluid and not "honda trans fluid" can cause the trans to shift odd.

Last edited by acmech52; 10-01-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:17 AM

As far as I know he didn't do anything to the transmission fluid. At the very least he didn't charge me for it.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

you might try changing the trans fluid with honda only fluid and see if the trans clears up. if that does not work, it may be your shift solenoids.