General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 crv driveline

Old 04-21-2017, 12:56 AM
Default 98 crv driveline

So I have a 98 crv and the driveline came in connected from where it connects to the front axel. I here the u joints are staked in and I have to replace the entire driveline. Is this true and is it easy and where do I get I driveline? Also because it's AWD can I just discount the other end at transmission and drive it on rear wheel drive?

Last edited by Tman; 04-21-2017 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Add to it
Old 04-25-2017, 07:31 AM

Your telling me no one here knows the answer?

Old 04-27-2017, 11:39 PM

Your post is a bit unclear. There is two individual axles that drive the front two wheels, and one drive shaft that runs to the rear differential. Which one is broken and where?

Old 04-28-2017, 07:43 AM

Here a picture from the front looking towards the rear.

Attached Thumbnails 98 crv driveline-img_20170421_121458.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

go to a drive shaft shop and they can get this fixed, easy fix. front u joint from your trans to rear axle is damaged. old school hammer/punch it out and back in, new school hydraulic press to fix. If you are not mechanically minded, shop is easy fix. if you know what you're doing, lesser cost. just a u joint.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:10 PM

Yes, your options are a new U joint, or if you're really desperate/in a pinch you could disconnect the rear drive daft and just go FWD. No need for a full drive shaft replacement

Old 05-01-2017, 12:40 AM

So I can remove the entire drive line and go front wheel drive? So even though it's broke up front so it's front wheel drive and goes 4 wheel drive when it needs to? I thought it was always AWD. So the driveline is 3 prices so I remove the other 2 peices so there is no driveline and then it's just front wheel drive? Then I can drive it till I get the money to fix it. It won't hurt anything?

Last edited by Tman; 05-01-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tman
So I can remove the entire drive line and go front wheel drive? So even though it's broke up front so it's front wheel drive and goes 4 wheel drive when it needs to? I thought it was always AWD
Yeah, so if you disconnect the drive shaft going to the rear, the transmission/transfer case cannot send any power from the engine to the rear wheels. So by removing the drive shaft, the engine can only give power to the front two wheels. Also, AWD means that's its always FWD unless there's loss of traction, and then it will send power to the rear wheels to aid in lost traction.

If you remove the driveshaft, all that may happen is that when (and if) your car feels the need to send power to the rear wheels, it will just spin the plate on your transfer case (where your driveshaft is disconnected) and will do nothing; therefore making the car only front wheel drive

Old 05-01-2017, 01:41 AM

Thanks for your help all of you I'm on a budget because I had heart surgery and I am lows on funds because I have been off work. Plus I don't much about the CRV's my daughter gave it to me before she left the country on a job.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tman
Thanks for your help all of you I'm on a budget because I had heart surgery and I am lows on funds because I have been off work. Plus I don't much about the CRV's my daughter gave it to me before she left the country on a job.
Hey man no problem! Glad I could help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 crv driveline