General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brake grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Default brake grinding noise

Every month or so, my 2011 CRV makes a grinding sound when applying the brakes.

The sound sounds like the brake pads are cutting through the rotors. There is no scarring on the rotors (all four corners). The pads are good, and I actually pulled the wheels the first time this happened.

Once the sound happens it corrects itself and doesnt happen for a few more weeks.

I have recently had the transmission fluid changed along with the differential and transfer case. The sound actually led me to having this done, once i checked the brakes and found nothing. I really cannot take the car to a mechanic to hear it, because it happens so infrequently.

Has anyone else had this experience.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. If you live in an area with high humidity or parked near a sprinkler, the rotors develop a light rust, when the brakes are first applied, it sounds like a grinding sound, then goes away. or if parked for a few days, you might be able to see the bright metal have a brown coat of rust. I live in Hemet ca. was my car on a sat, drive it on a tue and the first application it grinds, then no noise after that.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. If you live in an area with high humidity or parked near a sprinkler, the rotors develop a light rust, when the brakes are first applied, it sounds like a grinding sound, then goes away. or if parked for a few days, you might be able to see the bright metal have a brown coat of rust. I live in Hemet ca. was my car on a sat, drive it on a tue and the first application it grinds, then no noise after that.
no this is not the first application of the brakes. This usually happens after the car has been driven and the brakes are heated up.

that is why it is so puzzling.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

it is possible that the brake is crazing. take the brake pads off and check to see if there is metal on the pads, sometimes hot brakes gets rotor metal transfer.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
it is possible that the brake is crazing. take the brake pads off and check to see if there is metal on the pads, sometimes hot brakes gets rotor metal transfer.
i once again pulled the wheels and noticed that the dust shields were a little close. I adjusted them and will keep my fingers crossed.

thanks for the suggestions

Old 04-03-2017, 03:13 PM

I know on one of my cars it produces a great amount of brake dust which causes squealing and some grabbing. I plan on going to ceramic pads to eleminate this.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:02 PM

I had an issue years ago with my 99 Civic in which there was a small rock stuck between the rotor and the backing plate. I would check for that because, being female and this sound being very random, though terrible, it took me a while to get a mechanic that took me seriously and figured it out.