Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

1991 honda accord alternator drive belt help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Default 1991 honda accord alternator drive belt help

So i finally understand that the 91 accord ex has belt tensoners insted of a tension bolt but i still cant tighten the belt ans secondly i cant find the lower bolt to my alternator the top bolt is under the pully i got that one and also the tensioner however the manual says there is a 3rd bolt

Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Welcome in,this should help.
Locate the alternator on the front left-hand side of the engine. Loosen the upper and lower alternator mounting bolts by turning them counterclockwise with a ratchet and socket.

Turn the adjustment bolt on the lower left-hand side of the alternator clockwise to tighten the belt and counterclockwise to loosen it.

Tighten the alternator mounting bolts with the ratchet and socket.

Locate the power steering pump on the front top side of the engine. Loosen the upper and lower mounting bolts by turning them counterclockwise with the ratchet and socket.

Turn the adjustment bolt on the side of the power steering adjustment bracket clockwise to tighten the belt and counterclockwise to loosen it.

Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolts with the ratchet and socket.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Thumbs up May I be more help

Originally Posted by Ryan Stilwell
So i finally understand that the 91 accord ex has belt tensoners insted of a tension bolt but i still cant tighten the belt ans secondly i cant find the lower bolt to my alternator the top bolt is under the pully i got that one and also the tensioner however the manual says there is a 3rd bolt
Yes its not a easy task, the other guys description is how it says in manual, but it doesnt mention all the a/c hoses and other stuff in the way, its easier to unbolt the vacuum canister and get it out of the way, the second bolt for the alternator is under it behind the adjuster bolt, I am doing mine today, because i had new belts put on few months ago and they have stretched, so now I have to tighten again because its making noise, if I can assist you more, message me, hardest part is reaching the adjuster bolt with everything in the way, easiest is with a really long 10mm bent wrench, stores do sell them, not sure what area your in, but I have found these wrenches at stores around here in northern wisconsin. Please let me know if you need more help.
From,
Brandon