Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any tips for removing the crank pulley bolt on a 91 accord?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Default any tips for removing the crank pulley bolt on a 91 accord?

My buddy and I are working on his 91 Accord.

The crank pulley is being stubborn and the bolt does not want to come out.

We've got the special tool to hold the pulley in place, its a 50mm hex that slides into the hex slot on the pulley and you attach a breaker bar that braces on the ground to keep the pulley from moving. We've done things just like in the tutorials, using a couple of extensions on the 19mm socket (to clear the wheel well) and supporting the wrench rig with a jack stand, etc...

Well, tonight we went to work on it with a 1/2" breaker bar with 6 feet of cheater bar (3/4" steel pipe) and we managed to break the craftsman breaker bar, it twisted and snapped at the joint. We tried it again with a regular 1/2" drive wrench. I was pretty sure we've break the ratchet wrench but it was worth a shot, Sears will replace it anyways...so no biggy. Well....this time the socket broke!

He's been out and sprayed it down with PB Blaster everyday for the last couple of days hoping that may help a little...but apparently not.

I'm at a loss on this one, I'm afraid that if we whip out the big guns on it and take some 3/4" drive tools to it that next time the crank pulley bolt itself will give and the head will snap off...which I seriously don't want to deal with.

I've heard some conflicting opinions on whether or not it is a right hand thread. I'm thinking it is, but if someone knows for sure that it's a lefty then that would be good to know.

Any suggestions here?

thanks

Last edited by chrisn82; 05-09-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

go to autozone.com and register for free, they have a repair and will show you how to get that pulley off and which way is off. All so in about.com, they have a section on how to.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM

I just replaced my crank pulley 2 days ago, you cannot get it loose with a breaker bar you need an impact wrench/gun to get it loose, i spent 2 hours trying to break that sucker loose with a breaker bar, and it took me 2 seconds to get loose with an impact.....

Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM

I did that using a breaker bar, not so easy but finally, maybe i'll try an impact next time.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Default got it....

we ended up renting an electric impact wrench....it had a 1" driver on it! that bolt was off in under 15 seconds...i was darn glad it didn't break the head off the bolt

Old 06-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Default just got mine off after many research and tries

here's how I did it: (accord 93 LX)

after overnight of PB spray, I heated the pulley bolt with a torch for about 2 mins to get it hot and maybe loosen whatever crap that might be holding the bolt. (careful because PB might be flammable).

to hold the crankshaft in place I opened the flywheel cover and used a vise grip on the flywheel. It will lodge itself and stop the turning of the crankshaft.

To turn the bolt, support your extension with a jackstand. My car was too high so I used a tire underneath. I then used the metal piece from my jack as an extension to my socket wrench to give me better leverage. I tried everything to get the bolt to move but it didn't so I finally did a desperate move and stood on the end and jumped up and down. The bolt finally came loose! Use caution because you can hurt yourself or break the head of the bolt. Good luck to those who tries. I would suggest to take it in to a Honda dealer and pay them to loosen the bolt for you and then take the car home to work on it. I didn't because my car was not movable.

links to all images:

http://www.screencast.com/t/A6Hi22zD
http://www.screencast.com/t/4WFnVi94Qs
http://www.screencast.com/t/EaRXrzK4LD
http://www.screencast.com/t/QXCnidBfW

Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum ponso; great pic's, now others can benefit for the diy members. thank you. good job.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 AM

yea i just changed my two timing belts in my 90 and i used an impact and had no problem at all. its the tightest bolt on the entire car so it could be a little tought. but from what i have heard that special tool your talking about is only gonna make things more difficult. all my friends that have ever tried to use it said the same things you did