Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine not accelerating past 3000rpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Default Engine not accelerating past 3000rpms

Hey guys,

Just noticed this issue on the way home tonight while driving on the highway. My check engine light popped on in my 2007 4cyl manual trans Accord while I was cruising at about 70MPH and I immediately lost all feedback in my pedal. I shifted into neutral, and back into 5th and I had was able to accelerate until about 70MPH before the same issue occurred. I drove the rest of the way home at 60MPH (~2200 RPMS). After I got home I tried revving the engine and couldn't get it above 3000rpm. Any ideas?

Notes: My check engine light has come on and off over the past 2 years but has been off for at least 4 months now. I once ran a diagnostic at AutoZone and it coded as an O2 sensor but the shop I took it too wanted a ridiculous fee so I decided not to get it fixed and the light kept sporadically turning back off for weeks at a time. A few months back the engine oil light came on, I added some oil (it didn't seem low) and then had it completely changed. That light hasn't shown up again until a few days ago when the oil light would flash on for a bit and then not show up back until a few driving sessions later. I've also put some fresh oil in it but the light was flashing earlier today but NOT when the engine light illuminated.

A friend with more car knowledge than me suggested the engine revving issue could be related to a a clogged fuel filter or something related to the pump. I'm planning to get the diagnostics codes read tomorrow but I'm afraid to take it to a shop as I'm confident I'll be on the hook for hundreds of dollars that my graduate student budget won't be able to handle.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:15 PM

get those codes and get back to here. I just joined and noticed nobody here helps anybody....

You might have skipped a tooth on the timing belt. Just get codes

Old 10-24-2015, 06:44 PM

Post a code and we can eliminate uneeded replacement parts