Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

odometer light

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Default odometer light

I just have a question regarding my odometer light I have an 02 accord with the digital mileage and trip odometer. This morning the light stopped working. Does this mean it's the bulb or could it be a fuse all the other instrument panel lights work besides my green cruise control indicator. If it is a bulb is it even worth the hassle of replacing?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: odometer light

I beleive it is a bulb, but a dealer item. It can be accessed by taking the cluster out, but have the bulb first in hand

Old 04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Default Step by Step Odometer Light Replacement

I just replaced mine on a 2000 Accord. I'll bet it is the same, because my 2005 appears the same. 1. remove the top two screws to the black plastic holder around the instrument cluster. 2. pull the black plastic holder straight out toward you - not up, not down - straight back toward the steering wheel. You may want to take off the top of the steering column cover, but not necessary. This will give you something underneath the plastic holder to grab onto. Note that there are two clips on the bottom left and right of the black holder, which cannot be reached from the outside. They simply unplug from the car once you pull straight out. It took a pretty good hard pull. There are also two guides which hold the bottom of the black holder down in the center up against the cluster. 3. After the black cover is off, take out the two top and the two bottom screws which mount the instrument cluster to the car. 4. tilt the top of the cluster forward to you, keeping the bottom in place. Unplug the three wiring harnesses from the instrument cluster's top. There is a small button to push on each to release them from the cluster. 5. Pull out the cluster. If you need more room, you may need to remove the top of the steering column cover. Don't remove the bottom cover, or it will take you a week to get three screws on the bottom lined up again. Twist out the light bulb holder from the bottom back of the cluster. I took the bulb and the holder to the auto parts store and matched up a new one - it is very small. The one I bought was a little longer than the original, but fit and worked fine. It was $2.99 for a package of two. 6. Thank God you did not have to pay the $100 my dealer wanted to do the job!

Old 10-24-2014, 07:03 AM

2000 Accord - October, 2014 - INFLATION strikes - dealer wants $400 to replace the odometer bulb. With the good instructions posted by "olopc" as well as info on YouTube - I'll now do it myself.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

great savings.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:40 AM

I have replaced several on my Accord ,pretty simple.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by herbvette
2000 Accord - October, 2014 - INFLATION strikes - dealer wants $400 to replace the odometer bulb. With the good instructions posted by "olopc" as well as info on YouTube - I'll now do it myself.

Sorry for bringing up the dead, but I felt a thread that was already in place was better than starting a new one.
This is another 1 of those "little" jobs I need to do. It and the clock light bulb. Does anybody have the bulb number for these 2 lights.
I'm going to follow the instructions above by "olopc" when I do it, but it would be nice to have the bulb before hand.
I thought I saw a thread on here about the clock bulb. I'll look it up next.
Thanks.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Go to google or bing. Type in your year car n make n light bulbs. Several companies of light bulb makers will have a list of all the numbers of bulbs.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
Go to google or bing. Type in your year car n make n light bulbs. Several companies of light bulb makers will have a list of all the numbers of bulbs.
Well, since the wife had to pick up the "extra" seal I had ordered from the dealer, I asked her to see about getting some bulbs while she was there. She was informed that there are 2 different "black" bulbs, a blue one, and I think she said a yellow one just for the odometer. The color represents the bulb holder, as that's how the dealer sells them. This means I have to pull the dash apart so I can find out which of the 4 bulbs it needs, before they'll order 1 up. I was going to do the clock as well, but found a similar issue there too. I think I'll just leave a HF flashlight in the car to see those 2 spots for now, and maybe after the weather warms back up into at least the 60's, I'll dig into it and find out which ones it needs. It's hard to get motivated on doing that kind of work when it's only in the low to mid 30's.