Go Back   The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. > Honda Automobiles > Honda Accord Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Oil in my sparkplugs Help! 97 accord

I dont know very much about cars at all, im just starting to try and figure things out for myself. I changed my oil and transmission fluid and spark plugs today. When I took out my third spark plug, it was covered in oil. I heard this is a very bad sign. The rest of the spark plugs looked fine, but the third one had a lot of oil. Is it maybe that I need a new gasket seal? Whats wrong and how do I fix it? I have a 97 accord se 4-cyl 2.2L. Please Help![/align]

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on HondaForum!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Oil in my sparkplugs Help! 97 accord

if your spark plug top area where the wire connects to the spark plug is full of oil, the o ring on the shaft that houses the spark plug is leaking a bit. If the spark plug electrode is full of oil, the cylinder is by passing oil from the rings to cause wet spark plug, you may be burning some oil if it is oil on the electrodes.
galatians 5:22-23
Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 PM

i have this same problem on my 93, but i have replaced those plug hole grommets 3 times already. what am i doing wrong? should i use some rtv? thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

blue rtv is good, becareful to not use an excess amount that will come off into the engine, it will do no good to the oil system
Old 07-18-2007, 06:40 PM

If you replace the grommets in the valve cover where the sparkplug holes are and oil is still getting to the top of the sparkplugs then it is the "never mentioned" "O"-rings between the cam brackets and the top of the head.

These "O" rings become hard since they are sandwiched between the cam brackets and the head, and when they start leaking, they will fill up your sparkplug holes. This is very common on all the honda 4 cylinders from 91 - 98.

This is not an FYI job, but at least you will know what you should be paying for.

Hint, keep the cam rocker shaft connected and just lift the cam brackets to replace the "O" rings...

Dongss
Old 09-15-2007, 03:34 PM

i have the same problem with my 90 accord.i replaced my sparkplug seals and it works.no more oil in my plugs.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 PM

I noticed the same problem in my 2001 civic ex. Where is the spark plug seal? Is that something you need to remove the valve cover to replace? (Not too experienced beyond changing my plugs/oil)

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum, yes, remove the valve cover
Old 03-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Default the oil in my spark plug holes....

the oil in my spark plug holes... will that hurt the engine. i mean like, would it cause it to miss fire?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

it will miss fire if the oil leaks into the plug boot. If the plug wire is good and tight and not worn it will seal good. if there are years or milage, ( lots ) it does get deteriorated or weak and electrical leak will happen.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 PM

Tags
097, 1997, 97, accord, filling, hole, holes, honda, oil, plug, plugs, se, shafr, spark, sparkplug