Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

'01 Civic EX headlight ass'y loose inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Default '01 Civic EX headlight ***'y loose inside

I bought a 2001 Civic EX recently, really nice little car. I was adjusting the headlights when I found that the right headlight assembly is not acting correctly. Turning the two headlight positioning screws doesn't accomplish anything because the plastic piece the headlight bulb attaches to is loose. I can't move the bulb in the left assembly, which I can adjust normally, because the piece it mounts to is not loose, so it's mounted they way it's supposed to be mounted. To be clear, this is the parabolic shaped reflector that the headlight bulb attaches to.

Is this something I can repair, and if so, do I have to remove the assembly to repair it? I was thinking of pushing the plastic piece into position and then temporarily duck taping it so I can silicone caulk it into place. A kludge I know...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:58 PM

im confused about what your talking about exactly maybe get some pics up.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:06 PM

If you grab the electrical socket that slides onto the prongs on the back of the headlight and try to move them, you can't on a normal headlight assembly. On my right front assembly you can move it maybe an inch left right, up down, in a circle, the plastic piece that the headlight slides into is not anchored correctly.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:28 PM

Spread the prongs slightly to make the socket tighter.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer, the connector fits very tightly onto the back of the headlight bulb. And the headlight bulb fits very tightly into the piece it mounts in. But the piece it mounts in, which is a large plastic reflector which aims the light, is very loose and flops around. It's not tight like the other headlight which I can aim with the adjustment screws. I hope that's clear. I'll try to get some pics up.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:41 PM

if the reflector bowl is loose then you mite need a new headlight unless you want it jerry rigged.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by lowlife9
if the reflector bowl is loose then you mite need a new headlight unless you want it jerry rigged.
Thanks for your thoughts. It looks like it's pretty easy to remove the assembly - I think I'll do that and see if I can repair it or not.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM

its easy to remove the headlight but you have to bake the headlight in the oven at a certain temp for a couple minutes to remove the outside lens coverer being careful not to crack it. then the rubber seal has to be completely removed then replaced. if its not done correctly it will leak i believe its a butile rubber strip 3M makes it. for a DIY of the process google search ''01 civic retrofit headlight''

Old 02-01-2015, 07:21 PM

lowlife9,
Yikes, I'm glad you told me about that stuff, I had no idea. I'll definitely read up before working on it.
Many thanks,
Mike