Honda Detailing Talk about any Honda detailing questions here.

Microfiber Care

Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Default Microfiber Care

A customer called the other day and asked why their microfiber towels do not feel as soft as they did when they purchased them. I asked the customer what they do to clean their microfiber towels after they have used them. They answered that they wash them with their other household towels, use the same soap they wash everything in, and dry them in the dryer on a high heat to dry them quickly.

I provided the customer with a few helpfully tips to ensure their new microfibers would stay softer longer. Soaps that contain fabric softeners and artificial scents are actually bad for the delicate microfibers. Washing them with other items may save time and water, but it increases the chances of other fibers, like cotton to be embedded in the microfiber and can cause issues as well. Drying the towels on a low heat, no heat, or delicate cycle is best to ensure the microfibers do not become firm or fuse together with other fibers. I know the High Efficiency or HE washers are becoming more popular and require special detergents. Pinnacle has formulated their microfiber detergent to be used in both standard and HE washers.

To read more about Microfiber Care, click here!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:58 PM

Read somewhere that if you would rinse your mf towel with white vinegar it will make the fabric soften.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Good tip,i know never put them in the dryer.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:37 PM

I just using baby cloth detergent and after rinsing it, I soak it with white vinegar.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:53 PM

my wife hates washing them when I wax my cars,so I end up tossing them.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:48 AM

I go for the high fiber count, wash them with only like fiber towels. I do use the dryer with them, but never high heat.. that causes the fibers to slowly melt which gives them that rough feeling... imagine what that does to your paint. Swirl city unfortunately.. Never rush the towel care process, I know that sounds weird, but think of your car!

Old 05-15-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by johnguida
I go for the high fiber count, wash them with only like fiber towels. I do use the dryer with them, but never high heat.. that causes the fibers to slowly melt which gives them that rough feeling... imagine what that does to your paint. Swirl city unfortunately.. Never rush the towel care process, I know that sounds weird, but think of your car!
Rinsing it with white vinegar will rejuvenate its floppiness.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:50 PM

Good tip,thanks.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:10 PM

Not a problem Bucwheat.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 PM

The vinegar tip is a good one but it wont save a towel that has been dried on high heat. The heat fuses the splits in the fibers back together and the towel will never be as soft or as absorbent as it once was. More info on the fibers in microfiber. My wife has accidentally dried my towels before and I just relegate them to door jambs and engine bays after that.

Last edited by mrhon; 03-06-2017 at 04:09 PM.