Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

Unexpected Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Default Unexpected Maintenance

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the opportunity to post my question to the community.

First, a little background. I am the furthest thing from a car guy. My wife and I have a 2006 Honda Pilot, and my car knowledge goes as far as knowing how to schedule maintenance when the car / manual tells me to. Our Pilot was purchased from a family member who was rigorous about maintenance and always followed the recommended maintenance to the letter.

We currently have 130k miles on the Pilot, and in the last few months we've had two unexpected (Although from what I understand, not unheard of) repairs. We needed to have our radiator replaced, and just yesterday we discovered that we needed to have our alternator replaced.

The need for both repairs was verified with a trusted mechanic, so I'm not concerned that I was being taken advantage of by an unscrupulous mechanic.

Here's my question. Some maintenance events are certainly expected (such as an oil change or a timing belt) and can be seen coming via a code from the dashboard, and then scheduled in due time. But some repairs (like a massive radiator leak or a dead alternator) seem to come without notice. What other kinds of these unexpected repairs should I be anticipating? Assuming that the car has been maintained well and is driven responsibly, what else might I be in for in the next several thousand miles? Should I be concerned about the transmission, electrical system, etc? I'll continue to go in for service as the dashboard indicators direct me to, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice / experience on what might go next, especially without warning.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 PM

Welcome in,well being that Hondas are some of the most reliable cars on the road,I would not be to concerned,things like starters,A/C units,and brakes don't last forever. But major problems are rare.I have 129k on one of my Acvords and just replaced the starter about a month ago,last year it was the radiator. Outside of brakes and maint. That's all.far less than my F350 diesel.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:39 AM

Hey Guys new here I know that this a little late to add to the posting I have to agree with Bucwheat my 06 pilot the alternator died at 135 k But my other 06 pilot the alternator died at 105k but other than that no issues I'm now at 196k and still running strong like the day bought the pilot. Maintenance is key to keep them running!

Old 01-06-2017, 06:41 PM

So true,keep up with maint.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:14 AM

Hello, I have a 2008 Honda Pilot with 105K miles on it. Last week I took the car to Honda dealership to replace timing belt, water pump. since i brought the car from maintenance service it's been raining. Today it wasn't raining and I noticed there was a big leak so I took the car to the dealership and they told me its leaking from rear main seal! I told them it never leaked before. They gave me price to fix that it's $1500. I just spent $1100 on the maintenance service. Can the dealership cause this problem, if there in a rush or not been careful? Any advise?

Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 AM

I try to avoid going to dealership for maintenance. In my experience they overcharge and haven't always been honest about what repairs need to be done. I found my mechanic by getting recommendations from friends. I would recommend asking around for a trustworthy mechanic and then get a second opinion.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:57 AM

[QUOTE=theFASTlife;27959]I try to avoid going to dealership for maintenance. In my experience they overcharge and haven't always been honest about what repairs need to be done. I found my mechanic by getting recommendations from friends. I would recommend asking around for a trustworthy mechanic and then get a second opinion.[/QUOTE

Old 02-18-2017, 03:02 AM
Default 2008 Honda Pilot

The pilot only has 100K miles on it. Also the dealership the techs they have to have integrity right! Is it possible for the dealer ship changing the water pump and also the timing belt to damage the rear main seal? What do guys think? Please help!