Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Default Air Conditioning

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2013 Honda Civic LX. So far, it's really great! However, I have one question about the AC.

Compared to my parent's 2010 Accord LX-P, the AC doesn't seem to get as cold, even on its maximum setting. The Accord gets ice cold to the point where you have to turn it off due to being too cold at times. Also, the fan speed doesn't appear equal.

Is this normal? I understand the system operates off of the vehicle's engine/ radiator, and the Civic is less powerful car than the Accord, but I just thought it might be cooler than what it is now.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 AM

Technically that should not happen. What I have seen and learnt is that it depends on the size of the compressor which determines the cooling efficiency of the aircon. Since you car is brand new and still under warranty, you should clear this doubt with the service guys at the dealership.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 PM

Just did some investigating. Placed a digital thermometer in the center console vent and turned the system to its coldest temperature setting, no recirculation, face vents only. Fan was only on about half way.

The ambient temperature was 86 degrees F, 38% humidity. After about fifteen minutes of city driving, the air coming out of the vent had dropped to 47 degrees. That's almost a 40 degree drop in temperature! Is that normal?

Also, I happened to stumble upon this chart. Is this credible? If so, my car falls within its parameters.
Name:  93046603.gif
Views: 557
Size:  13.9 KB

Last edited by kvnrpp; 08-20-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM

I can't see your chart. Can you paste it as text?
I have a 2013 LX and also have A/C questions. First, I own a 2004 4 cyl camry with r134 refrigerant. It easily produces 40 degree temp from the left center vent on max cool recirc at 1500rpm on a hot day. This is good. You need to check with recirc on, not off.I have heard complaints about civic A/C performance, and used to own a 2003 civicLX that didn't cool as well as the camry using similar testing. I am getting 45-46 degrees from the 2013 civic on max cool/recirc at 1500 rpm. This does not vary with econ mode on or off. Outside temp 90-95 degrees. It seems to me that the compressor cycles too frequently, and if it just stayed on longer, I could get the desired 40-42 degrees. Does anyone have vent temp specs for the 2013 civic? Does anyone know if Honda is currently using more frequent comp cycling and slightly higher vent temps to boost mileage at the expense of comfort?

Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Giwatcher, I too have only gotten within the 45 degree range with my Civic out of the center vent. As with you, this was on roughly a 95 degree day.

I have also noticed the compressor cycling frequently. I have seen articles about Honda using power cycling for increased fuel fficiency. I have seen other reports that it means the AC system is low on coolant. However, I'm leaning towards the fuel efficiently matter.

After having the car for two months now, and coming out to it after sitting hours in 90 degree weather, I can't complain too much. Once I get things going, the car cools down in roughly 5-10 minutes.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Thanks for that reply, very helpful. A short-cycling compressor is a sign of low refrigerant under old-school system, when it was not usual to use an on-board computer to influence A/C cycling for mileage efficiency at the expense of cooling. All I would like is an admission that this is the Honda method of boosting mileage, so I don't keep expecting cooling to the 40-42 degree range. After all, my car is under warranty, yes, but the A/C warranty for refrigerant is only 1 yr, not 3, because it is a seasonal component. Furthermore, the extreme hot season is where issues like this are uncovered, which gives the owner a very small window to decide there is a problem under warranty. Could you maybe provide a link to the chart you referenced for vent temps, or perhaps quote the part that deals with our issues?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:18 AM

Name:  93046603.gif
Views: 2711
Size:  13.9 KB

I hope that works. I can see it.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Honda has undergone several changes in regards to their AC for efficiency matters. For example, when you put your key in the ignition and turn it to position II (just before you start the engine) with the AC on, the condensor or radiator fans do not automatically come on. This went into effect in 2012. It is meant to conserve battery life. In cars prior to this, when you turned the key to position II, both fans would come on.

I confirmed this two ways. I confirmed it in a relatives 2012 CR-V and by the dealership. Who confirmed in a Civic identical to mine.

As for the cycling, I can't find any literature specifying exactly what Honda has done to their AC systems. Referring back to the CR-V, it too just had about average cooling capabilities, even with Econ off. Now, my parent's 2010 Honda Accord, it can turn into a meat locker, as it gets that cold.

I do believe our experience is due to Honda's quest to reach fuel efficient vehicles. There are trade offs.

Last edited by kvnrpp; 09-14-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks, I see it now.
Update. I took the car on a trip of 800 miles. Max cool/recirc, low or medium fan speed, didn't matter. Still 45-46 degrees from L center vent, at 78 degree outside temp. No better than in my driveway test of 45-46 degrees when it was 90+ outside. It seems to me that the system is programmed to reach that temp and then cycle. Otherwise, the lower outside temp would allow a lower vent temp. I wish a Honda ac service person would weigh in on this topic.