Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

merging in freeway

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Default merging in freeway

I have a 2010 honda civic (automatic). What is the proper way to merge into the freeway, and at the same time, not to put too much stress on the engine? So far, i've been merging into the freeway with 2000 - 2500 rpm, and i feel that it's too slow. Is there a step by step, like move at a certain rpm until you hit a certain speed (again, without putting too much strain on the engine). Btw, let's assume i'm merging into a freeway that has a 65mph traffic. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

merging onto the freeway, you do not need to be looking at your rpm guage, speed up to traffic speed and merge with caution into open traffic. the automatic allows you to drive at will and the shifting is done for you. the rpm guage is normally used for performance driving, or looking for maintenance problems.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 AM

Your not going to hurt your car by stomping on the gas pedal now and then, it's actually good for it. When you make your engine work a little harder you push carbon deposits out of the engine. Chang your oil every 5k, put good 87 octane gas in it, change the ATF every 30k and enjoy every last horsepower... your not going go break it.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:54 PM

As Acmech says,try and match your speed with on going traffic or slightly faster to fall in behind a vehicle or in front of one that you are comfortable with. Never stop or slow down on a ramp,I have seen far to many accidents caused by vehicles reducing speed waiting for a break,and please use your rear view mirrors or glance rearward to merge never at gauges.