Honda Detailing Talk about any Honda detailing questions here.

Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating System

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Default Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating System

“What is the best thing I can do to protect my car and give it a great shine?”

This is probably the #1 question I get asked almost on a daily basis. The majority think a good layer of a carnauba wax will do the trick. They would be right on the shine, but depending on how long they are looking for in durability, wax may not cut it. Then sealants have to be it, right? Well, while most sealants will last twice as long as a natural wax, the shine isn’t always as strong. For the best of both worlds, I always recommend using a coating on your vehicle. Coatings are the newest and most advanced protectants on the market.

Coatings bond on such a deep level in the paint that their durability is measured in years not months. They also may contain self leveling properties that ensure a maximum gloss finish. Chemical Guys has always been on the cutting edge of the newest car care products. The Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating System is one of the premier coatings out there. The 2 ounce spray bottle comes in a stylish container that includes an added surprise from Chemical Guys. 2 ounces may not sound like much, but that is another benefit to the coatings. They require less product to cover more area because they bond on such a small level. The application process is as easy as could be. Spray on to a foam applicator pad, gently message into the surface, wait 20 minutes for the coating to level itself out, and then buff away any excess with a high quality microfiber towel. It can be applied to virtually all exterior surfaces; paint, glass, wheels, and plastic surfaces, including headlights. The coated surface now has a protective barrier on top of it that it will repel water, dirt, and airborne contaminants with ease.

Preparation

The most important step when applying any coating is the preparation. A good wash will only remove the surface dirt and contaminates. Even on a brand new vehicle I highly recommend using a chemical polish to remove any oils and residues that may be in the paint before applying the coating. The coatings are formulated to bond specifically with the paint and clear coat. Any dirt, oil, residues, or contaminants will hinder the bonding process and decrease the chances of the coating performing to its peak potential. Ensure the paint is as flawless as you can get it once the coating is on the vehicle, any imperfections will be sealed under it. Always do the best you can to work on a cool surface. If you have a garage or a shaded area, it will help keep the vehicle temperature down, not to mention decrease the amount of sweet you produce.

Application

After washing and claying the car, I used the DP Coating Prep Polish to remove the oils and residues I spoke about earlier. This step can be accomplished by machine or by hand. I decided to use a Lake Country CCS Euro Foam Hand Polishing Applicator for this application. I worked the polish into the surface of the vehicle then removed the residue with a soft microfiber towel.

After checking the surface to ensure all imperfections and polish residue has been removed, I sprayed the Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating directly onto the Lake Country Coating Applicator. The coating should be applied using an up and down or front to back motion onto the surface of the vehicle. You will be able to see the coating on the vehicle as you apply it. This will help ensure the entire surface is coated.

Allow the coating to sit for 20 minutes. This will allow the coating to level itself out and soak deep into paint to ensure a complete bond. Once the time is up, use a high quality microfiber towel to remove any excess product. At this point you can pull the vehicle into the sun light to inspect your work and ensure you removed all of the excess coating.

While coatings are still the new kid on the block, they are rapidly growing in popularity. I believe it is due to the ease of application, longevity, and over all great shine. The most important thing to remember about coating a vehicle is the preparation. The more time you take ensuring your vehicle is imperfection and contaminant free, the longer it will last and the better it will look.

Click on the products below to read more about them on SuperiorCarCare.net.
Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating System
DP Coating Prep Polish
Lake Country CCS Euro Foam Hand Polishing Applicator
Lake Country Coating Applicator
Gold Plush Jr Microfiber Towel