Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

2001 Honda Accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Default 2001 Honda Accord V6

2001 Honda Accord V6 156,000 miles. The first problem I noticed about 8 months ago. Sometimes the idle would get very low while at a stop and go back up to normal and after a few weeks it even turned off when it did this but turned back on just fine. I used a system cleaner and the car stopped turning off but did continue to idle low and go back up while at rest. A few months later I started to notice that my AC is not as cool as it used to be. I added freon and it did not help at all. A few weeks after that my idle began jumping from normal to low while at a stop over and over usually always. I noticed that it stops doing this and the idle normalizes when the AC is turned off. Today I turned my car off and immediately tried to turn it back on and it would not even turn over, just a short clicking sound each time a tried. For a few minutes it wouldn't even lock with the remote or electronic control on door. I waited a few moments and it did lock and the lights came on but still did not start. I waited 20 minutes and it did start. I went straight to auto-zone to have my charging system checked and he says it needs a new alternator and after I replace the alternator we will recharge the battery and find out if I need to replace that too. Anyone have any advice or comments to help? I don't want to spend the money and it be something else completely. Thank you.