Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

New Clutch- Car Shakes BAD

Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Default New Clutch- Car Shakes BAD

I just installed a new clutch set, TB pilot bearing clutch disk and pressure plate. I just took it for a test spin. If you dont come out of 1st just perfect the car will buck and shake a little, but then when you shift to second, unless you shift EXTREMELY slow and slowly feather the throttle as you come into gear, coming into second shakes the car like and EARTHQUAKE. If you stay on the throttle it will shake worse and worse and worse. It will only smooth out of you let off the throttle for a second, then come back in ever so gently. I think I may know the cause, the worn out flywheel that wasnt machined. I am going to be pulling the trans this weekend again to fix the stripped mount holes once my heli coil kit comes from UPS. Do you all think its most likely the flywheel? There was a lot of heat marks and discoloration. I will buy a new flywheel if I have to, but do you all think the little bit of test driving I did (maybe 30 mins of driving around town feeling the clutch, never took it past 3-3.5k in revs maybe 10 miles of driving at most) messed up the new clutch bad enough that I should also get a new clutch disk? Opinons greatly appreciated thanks guys. I wanted to add it really only does it in 2nd gear. And it when happens the revs just "bounce" and the shaking gets worse. I know this isnt a good way to describe it but going down the road it would sound like "vroom vrooom vroom vroom vroom" as in like the revs just "bounce" sorry trying to explain it best I can

Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 AM

Bump..no one has any input?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:28 AM

Possible Pilot Bearing or Flywheel.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 PM

lol vroom vroom vroom, but yeah man if the flywheel had any grooves in it then you need to re-surface it, just resurface it anyway, when you take it out visually inspect the clutch disc for damge to the pucks, if it's ok put it in there, but make sur you install it in the right direction, it really could only install one way, but double check the direction it goes in, next USE THE ALIGNMENT TOOL that the clutch came with (a plastic tool with splines on it) it's very important you use this when tightening the pressure plate to the flywheel, and lastly don't forget to replace your tranny fluid after your done. That's it!