Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think my alternator went bad, and I may have screwed my transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Default Think my alternator went bad, and I may have screwed my transmission

I was driving on the highway yesterday when my rpm gauge started going crazy until it completely stopped working, about 30 seconds later my lights started getting dimmer, my turn signals stopped working, and my car was consistently loosing power every minute, so I pulled over to the right shoulder of the highway and what do you know the car completely shuts off. A state trooper came and told me he could help me push the car to the nearest exit and park it somewhere safe, but one thing I didn't notice before he started pushing is that my brakes did not work!! At one point we went down a very small hill (that's when I found out I had no brakes) So in a panic I put the car on park (thinking it would come to a complete stop since I was going really slow) But instead all I heard was a weird scratching noise for about 20-30 secs straight until the car came to a complete stop.

Did I screw my trans??
Will my brakes be ok??
My serpentine belt has been squealing uncontrollably for a while now, could it have snapped or something??
Or could it be my alternator??

96 Honda Accord EX

Old 04-21-2014, 04:40 PM

modern brakes work off of vacuum assistance no running engine no vacuum= no brakes this is what your emergency brake is for why didn't you use your emergency brake ???. as for the trans only time will tell how much damage you caused in any case grinding metal is never a good thing. if the alt belt was loose enough it would hinder battery charge putting added stress on the alt.