CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

CRV Towing Question

Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Default CRV Towing Question

We have a 98 CRV with a tow capacity listed as 1000lbs.

We are considering purchasing a 600 lb trailer to tow across country for a one-time move. Our thoughts are if we keep what's in the trailer under 400 lbs we should be safe (but slow) for towing.

Does anyone have any experience with actually towing such weight with a CRV? Also would the weight inside the car affect the towing capacity weight limits?

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CRV Towing Question

welcome to the forum. cr-v capacity 1000 lbs is tongue weight, it can tow a 2000 lbs trailer, but the tongue weight cannot be more than 1000 lbs. tongue weight is where the trailer hooks up to the ball/receiver of the cr-v. Also 10 % of the items you load on the trailer should be at the front to prevent tail sway. If you have more questions, email me acmech52@yahoo.com currently you can tow the lite weight tailer with no problem. Yes a bit. Don't put 1000 lbs of bricks. this will eat up the 1000 lbs of trailer weight use.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:18 PM

If you're worried about tow capacity you can type in your year, make and model at ReeseHitches.com to see what your options are for towing accessories to make it a smoother ride.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:09 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I found this question to be closest to my own. I hear you say the 1000lbs weight capacity is for the weight at the hitch. So, I could tow a 1500lbs Pop up trailer and be fine? This is all very confusing. Oh, I have 98 CRV also.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:48 PM

Call U-Haul.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:39 PM
Default Myth vs Fact

You can find your towing capacity in your owners manual. Likely to be 1000 lbs but do look it up.

Towing capacity has little to do with hitch weight. Hitch weight is determined by the hitch (class) itself and how it mounts to the tow vehicle.

Hitch weight is a downward force. In the weeds: Hitch weight can be adjusted by load or the use of a weight distribution hitch (WDH). Most hitches will give two max weigh specs, one for regular hitch connection and the other for WDH connections.

Determining factors:
Your CRV has a GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) posted on the door jamb. It also has a reference to Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC)

Towing adds a bunch of numbers into the mix. First of all, know that any hitch weight is counted against your CCC. Sooo, if your vehicle weighs 3100 lbs and your GVWR is 4500 lbs you would have 1400 lbs of CCC. That includes all the occupants, fuel, cargo and hitch weight.

Towing capacity is a number determined by the folks with engineering expertise. They consider things like torque, braking, suspension, transmission, frame and tire limitations.

You have two number for towing. One for no brakes trailers and one for ones with brakes. (a whole different topic).

Know that trailer towing is regulated by States and Provences and directly affects what you can “legally” tow. You will need to go to each state motor vehicle statute to find out what applies to you.

Your GVWR plus your tow capacity will add up to your combined gross vehicle weight rating or CGVWR. I suggest you not exceed that for safety and liability reasons.

So can you tow 1500 lbs? Maybe
Can you tow 1500 lbs safely and legally? Probably not.

More in the weeds:
A Class I hitch is rated for 2000 lbs and 200 lbs hitch weight
A Class II ups that to 3500/300.
WDH’s are not likely recommended for use on a CRV.

Wagons Ho!

Edit: Wait until you discover brake controllers for your pop up with electric brakes. That will be fun.

Last edited by Just Ducky; 03-19-2024 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by sadie
We have a 98 CRV with a tow capacity listed as 1000lbs.

We are considering purchasing a 600 lb trailer to tow across country for a one-time move. Our thoughts are if we keep what's in the trailer under 400 lbs we should be safe (but slow) for towing.

Does anyone have any experience with actually towing such weight with a CRV? Also would the weight inside the car affect the towing capacity weight limits?

Thanks for all your thoughts.
After towing many things for the past 81 years, I suggest you just have your 400 pounds of stuff shipped and forget about a trailer.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Just Ducky
You can find your towing capacity in your owners manual. Likely to be 1000 lbs but do look it up.

Towing capacity has little to do with hitch weight. Hitch weight is determined by the hitch (class) itself and how it mounts to the tow vehicle.

Hitch weight is a downward force. In the weeds: Hitch weight can be adjusted by load or the use of a weight distribution hitch (WDH). Most hitches will give two max weigh specs, one for regular hitch connection and the other for WDH connections.

Determining factors:
Your CRV has a GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) posted on the door jamb. It also has a reference to Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC)

Towing adds a bunch of numbers into the mix. First of all, know that any hitch weight is counted against your CCC. Sooo, if your vehicle weighs 3100 lbs and your GVWR is 4500 lbs you would have 1400 lbs of CCC. That includes all the occupants, fuel, cargo and hitch weight.

Towing capacity is a number determined by the folks with engineering expertise. They consider things like torque, braking, suspension, transmission, frame and tire limitations.

You have two number for towing. One for no brakes trailers and one for ones with brakes. (a whole different topic).

Know that trailer towing is regulated by States and Provences and directly affects what you can “legally” tow. You will need to go to each state motor vehicle statute to find out what applies to you.

Your GVWR plus your tow capacity will add up to your combined gross vehicle weight rating or CGVWR. I suggest you not exceed that for safety and liability reasons.

So can you tow 1500 lbs? Maybe
Can you tow 1500 lbs safely and legally? Probably not.

More in the weeds:
A Class I hitch is rated for 2000 lbs and 200 lbs hitch weight
A Class II ups that to 3500/300.
WDH’s are not likely recommended for use on a CRV.

Wagons Ho!

Edit: Wait until you discover brake controllers for your pop up with electric brakes. That will be fun.
Thank you, Just Ducky. I’ll do my best to get what’s right.

AnaE76