CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2010 CRV Burning Oil.....but Honda says that's normal

Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Default 2010 CRV Burning Oil.....but Honda says that's normal

I bought my current car, a 2010 CRV after rethinking Toyotas after their recall issues a few years back. Unfortunately, I've been regretting that decision ever since I had my car in for a recall over a year ago (related to an issue that could make the vehicle burn excessive amounts of oil). Since that recall and "fix" I have had problems with excessive oil use. The dealership is telling me that's "normal". I recently found out about the TSB and Honda of America saying that burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is normal. That as we all know, is rigging the game. That is unethical. I understand that every car company has lemons or has problems they can't fix. But it's what a car company does about theose problems that helps define them. Honda has failed in this respect.

After talking to Honda of America recently - I found they want me to reschedule my 1,000 mile oil consumption tests. This once again, makes my life difficult and makes me wonder what's going to change? If Honda is saying that my CRV can burn up to a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (and mine is just shy of that mark),what is going to be different after these checks show the same thing? I'll do it again but I'm looking for any insight anyone can give me about where to go from here. I see where there's a class action lawsuit involving at least one group of Hondas that have this same problem. I'd like to think that Honda doesn't need that to fix their problems. Am I wrong?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 PM

I think I need a lawyer.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM

its extremely unfortunate how honda has declined in reliability since 2001 i guess there all about cutting corners a making that extra buck now that there reputation has exceeded them. with that being said other car companies have there issues also so in the larger scale of things i would still take a honda over a kia or domestic car any day.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM

We bought a Honda after always having Toyotas too. We thought it might be a better for resale after all the Toyota recalls. Our 2010 CRV is burning oil at an alarming rate. Honda has been gathering info on the usage and oil consumption and is now 'analyzing' this data and the dealership has hinted that Honda may consider the oil consumption in the 'normal' range. If Honda will fix under warranty they will take apart the motor, pistons, and replace seals....I think it would be better to replace the motor. At this point I guess I am just hoping that they agree the oil consumption is excessive. The thing that bothers me is that is seems it is up to Honda to decide what is excessive, very subjective. I will never buy a honda again. BTW, our 2008 Corolla has never given us a problem. Back to Toyota. I hope your problem gets resolved.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM

I wonder if it's just an issue with that motor?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 PM

Well the oil consumption test fell shy of the magic 1 qt per 1,000 miles so now I'm going to be car shopping soon, for a Toyota. One and done with Honda.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM

Sorry you got a bad apple,don't bad mouth the whole brand it happens to all car makers.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM

I couldn't agree with you more, but it's how the company stands (or doesn't in this case) behind their mistakes that matters. ALL companys make lemons or have vehicles they can't find an answer for - but should that be my ongoing headache?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM

well, my honda dealer just returned my crv yesterday after replacing the pistons and seals. took 3 days to do the work, fingers crossed the car will work work okay after such a big job. all under warranty. my oil went from full to fill line in 2500 kms. davede, keep pushing honda warranty - excessive oil consumption is NOT okay. not in any brand of auto.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Thumbs down My 2012 crv is burning oil

I leased my 2012 CRV last year march. My wife is the only one driving it to work during the weekdays. For the past month or so, every time she started in the morning, a weird noice would come from the engine. It started doing it more frequently lately. I checked the oil thru the dash which said 40% OIL LIFE. Last weekend when it sounded the same, i thought i should check the oil manually. To my surprise, the oil level was low.
I took it to the Honda dealership yesterday (where I leased it from), they asked me to leave it over night, so that they could hear the noice in the morning when started. I was called by the service adviser this morning that they did not hear any noise. I went in and was advised that it was normal. (JUST LIKE THEY TOLD YOU DAVE). He said they put a V-Tec engine in all the hondas' now. To give a better performance, it has to burn some oil.
I am a not technical person but my mind does not register one thing that how on earth would a 2012 vehicle with only 29000 kms be burning oil.
Asked me the same thing,"We will put you on the test, you have to bring it in three times every 1000 kms, so that he can prove it to honda Canada that there is a problem".
I am very disappointed and thank God I have just leased it. I do not want to transfer the lease to someone and make them suffer. Wondering what to do with it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 CRV Burning Oil.....but Honda says that's normal