CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2010 CRV Burning Oil.....but Honda says that's normal

Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Default 2010 CR-V is burning oil

Honda started my wife's oil test for the second time. There was some miscommunication the first time on why the car had to be brought in at the 1k, 2k, and 3k mile mark. They are in fact testing to see if the car is burning 1 qt per 1k miles and have stated that anything under that is acceptable. I wanted to get this forum going again to keep a journal of my experience on how Honda is handling this, so that it may help anyone else experiencing the same issue.

There has also been a class action lawsuit for many of their 6 cylinder models sold from 2008-13.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...burning-claim#

I find the parallels between my experience and the 1,593,755 to be very similar and makes me think the same thing is happening with some of the CR-Vs as well. Like mentioned before, I will keep posting my experience over the next few months to keep everyone updated.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Good luck. I just ditched mine last week after the last payment was made and went back to Toyota. Any car company can make a lemon. It's how they handle it that counts. I'm one and done with Honda. You think it's bad now - if you keep pushing for answers you'll eventually get them putting the blame on you and how you drive as being the problem for the engine burning oil.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Default 2010 CRV Burning Oil

Originally Posted by jlindse2
Honda started my wife's oil test for the second time. There was some miscommunication the first time on why the car had to be brought in at the 1k, 2k, and 3k mile mark. They are in fact testing to see if the car is burning 1 qt per 1k miles and have stated that anything under that is acceptable. I wanted to get this forum going again to keep a journal of my experience on how Honda is handling this, so that it may help anyone else experiencing the same issue.

There has also been a class action lawsuit for many of their 6 cylinder models sold from 2008-13.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...burning-claim#

I find the parallels between my experience and the 1,593,755 to be very similar and makes me think the same thing is happening with some of the CR-Vs as well. Like mentioned before, I will keep posting my experience over the next few months to keep everyone updated.
DaveDe, did you buy a Highlander? I'm thinking if they don't handle this correctly that we'll get a Highlander or Pathfinder. We were going to upgrade to the Pilot, because our family is getting larger, but probably not now. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 AM

No, I had a CRV. But as of last week - I have a Corolla now.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Exactly the same problem, with my CRV 2010, Same strange engine noise in early morning start up,.

Uptill now I have being going to dealership for each and every service / oil change, but this time I tried "OIL CHANGERS" and they informed that its just 1/4 th the old oil that has come out.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:56 PM

Exactly the same problem, with my CRV 2010, Same strange engine noise in early morning start up,.

Uptill now I have being going to dealership for each and every service / oil change, but this time I tried "OIL CHANGERS" and they informed that its just 1/4 th the old oil that has come out.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:33 PM

Man that sucks. I hope you are happy with the desicion though!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Mar

Hi - My 2010 CRV is burning excessive oil and I was told by Honda that my vehicle is no longer under warranty as it is over 100,000 kms mine has 128,000 kms. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Default 2010 CRV consuming too much oil

Adding to the previous posts. I bought my 2010 CRV in Dec. 2013. I have only put 9000 miles on it in 11 months. However after 2500, 3000 and one time I actually got to 4000, between oil changes, the car was empty of oil. One time a oil can light came on, one time it flashed on twice at a stop sign coupled with engine noise, the other time there was no light I was just wisened enough to check dip stick. Also I was almost due to come in for my oil consumption test to see where I am at. My 12 month certified used warranty is about to expire. They keep blowing me off and telling me that this oil burning/consumption (completely empty after driving only 3000 miles after an oil change) is within specification. I have never had a vehicle burn oil like this, it only has 32,000 miles on it. I am so frustrated and worried that I, a 42 year old woman, called my 74 year old father to go with me to the dealership tomorrow so they won't steamroll me on this. I am adding this to the thread because the previous posts have helped me. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by k8edid
Adding to the previous posts. I bought my 2010 CRV in Dec. 2013. I have only put 9000 miles on it in 11 months. However after 2500, 3000 and one time I actually got to 4000, between oil changes, the car was empty of oil. One time a oil can light came on, one time it flashed on twice at a stop sign coupled with engine noise, the other time there was no light I was just wisened enough to check dip stick. Also I was almost due to come in for my oil consumption test to see where I am at. My 12 month certified used warranty is about to expire. They keep blowing me off and telling me that this oil burning/consumption (completely empty after driving only 3000 miles after an oil change) is within specification. I have never had a vehicle burn oil like this, it only has 32,000 miles on it. I am so frustrated and worried that I, a 42 year old woman, called my 74 year old father to go with me to the dealership tomorrow so they won't steamroll me on this. I am adding this to the thread because the previous posts have helped me. Thanks.
Our crv did the exact same thing and don't let them tell you it's normal as it is not! You need your seals replaced around he pistons and it is is big expensive job that warranty should cover
We had ours done in ally after some run around and the crv has been working great ever since

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 CRV Burning Oil.....but Honda says that's normal