Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

air conditioner blowing hot air : ( please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Question air conditioner blowing hot air : ( please help!

The other day my air conditioner blew some styrofoam out of the vents... it was just blowing cool air, then go to warmer and warmer. So I got more freon put in & the mechanic said not to worry about the styrofoam. It was cold for the half hour drive home - yea! It worked for a couple of days, and then it started blowing just hot air. I thought maybe the belt came off... no, the belt is still on.

So, I'm wondering where the styrofoam came from... I had just had the car alligned. Maybe when they raised & lowered the car, the jostling helped it finish falling apart? I haven't been able to find any info.

I'm thinking that maybe the styrofoam is a separate problem from the current hot air problem? But then again, maybe the styrofoam kept an area cool where the air goes before it goes through the vents... how would I get to that area? through the dash, or under the area where the windshield wipers are??? My Hayne manual says absolutely nothing about this...

Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. don't know of any area of the a/c that has styrofoam. only plastic air ducts. unless some got in from the vent area under the wiper blades, or someone dropped some into the defroster vent inside under the windshield. hot air adding freon sounds like a leak somewhere. wheel alighment does not work with the aircondition system. you might check the fan area to see if there is anymore trash in the vent system.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 PM

I found out that there are a couple of styrofoam pieces inside the evaporator... the heat is cuz the radiator fan isn't blowing and the antifreeze isn't circulating... always more things to fix! Still haven't figured out how to get to the vent areas... it would be nice to see a diagram of exactly what that would entail b4 tearing my car apart...