General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where is the oil plug located on 2002 Honda Passport?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Default Where is the oil plug located on 2002 Honda Passport?

I found a plug right underneath the engine but it says "Tokyo Radiator" on it with seriel numbers so wasnt sure if it were.

Just trying to change the oil for the first time.

And is it OK to change the oil without changing the oil filter?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. The oil drain plug is at the bottom of the engine ( viewing from the drivers seat ) it is on the left side bottom. about a #17 wrench or socket size. If you don't have any experience doing and oil change, get yourself a 02 passport service manual. it will show you a lot on how to save money. Go to hondaautomotiveparts.com put in your car info and you will find under oil pan oil dip stick the oil drain plug.
It is not a good idea to not change the oil filter if you change the oil, the dirt is in the filter will get filled and bypass the filter.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 AM

i would wisely suggest you buy a service repair manual before attempting any DIYs no offence but you don't sound very mechanically inclined. and no it is not ok to just change the oil you need a new filter also thats very important.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. The oil drain plug is at the bottom of the engine ( viewing from the drivers seat ) it is on the left side bottom. about a #17 wrench or socket size. If you don't have any experience doing and oil change, get yourself a 02 passport service manual. it will show you a lot on how to save money. Go to hondaautomotiveparts.com put in your car info and you will find under oil pan oil dip stick the oil drain plug.
It is not a good idea to not change the oil filter if you change the oil, the dirt is in the filter will get filled and bypass the filter.

Thanks for the link. Was able to confirm that the "Tokyo radiator" was actually the oil plug by looking at the diagram.

So I finally performed my first oil change and it went pretty smoothly. Wasnt going to change the oil filter cause I couldnt get it off but figured out that wrapping a dog leash around it loosens it.

Now I'll be changing oil on it from now on until it croaks!!!! Yay!!!!!