General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

Switch off lights when parked, can damage car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Question Switch off lights when parked, can damage car?

Sooo, I need to go to the bottom of this dilemma, cuz I need to find out if I'm doing it wrong. That's what my bf is telling me and he's starting to be more and more angry with me becuse of this.

I'm thinking, "this cant affect the car" but he says that I'm not allowed to drive his car because the fact that I always switch off the lights when Im done driving may damage the car and its electronics.

For me its like... you turn off things when u are done driving. Thats a good and natural thing to do, but really. Me switching off lights all the time comes from a habit. When I drove my old car (Toyota 1992), that was neccessary. Otherwise the battery would run empty.

So, I've now completed a forum registration here at Honda forum just to ask you Honda experts here... What is right? Am I damaging his car for forgetting to switch off lights. Or should you always leave that lights lever in auto mode?

Oh and it's a Honda civic sport edition from 2010.

I'm hoping u tell me that I am not damaging his car, because it would be so freckin sweet to print the forum replies, glue it to his face and prove him wrong.

Many thanks in advance.
/Gf of Honda owner

Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM

sorry but your boyfriend is either an idiot or anally retentive. no switching off the headlights will not damage anything except maybe his ego after you correct his false info. i don't think honda would install features that would damage themselves. i think he just doesn't want you driving his car to be honest.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Why would you not turn the lights off,does he just want to buy a battery .

Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Per Honda. I was told that the owner of the new style vehicle can turn them off or leave them in auto. owners choice. If left in auto, it will shut off on their own (with in a certain time) with the ignition off. Auto was installed due to many owners kept forgetting to turn the light off if used during the day or even at nights. Auto will save the owner the expense of having a jump start or recharge the battery.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 AM

Didn't think about that,good point Doug. Two of my four vehicles have that and it makes you lazy not having to turn them on or off. Much like the feature on the vette if you walk away with the fob in your pocket it will auto lock ,and when you return it will unlock. Because of this I find I forget to lock my truck at times.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 PM

i guess the loud buzzing wasn't enough ???. i don't believe auto was put into place to help certain people remember to turn off the lights i think its just a gimmick to sell more useless gadgets.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 AM

Or for more problems down the road.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 AM

Hello again.

Read your answer right away lowlife but have been unable to reply due to holiday and lack of internet access.

Thanks for answering. Felt good to know I am not damaging his car. When confronting him and telling him the true facts I just found out, he immediately started to fight back, and defending himself, changing his story like:

"No I've never said u damage the car" (hell yes u said), "its because when u turn off the lights, I forget to turn them on, and for that I can get a penalty fine from police. That is your fault and thats why I am so angry with you".

While Im saying, well, its fckin your responsibility as a driver to make sure the lights are on when u start the car. Not mine. But he is not willing to understand my point of view AT aLL. He is such an ***.

May be so that he doesnt want me to drive his car, even though he says thats not the issue. I think I know just exactly what it is all about though. Too bad he is acting like such a childish fool about everything.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM

hi
i am julie
from california

Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Default intro

hi
i am julie
from california

Quick Reply: Switch off lights when parked, can damage car?