CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

1998 CR-V started making buzzing noise while driving yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Default 1998 CR-V started making buzzing noise while driving yesterday.

Good morning all!

My CR-V (185,000 miles) suddenly started making a buzzing noise while driving home from work yesterday. It started mid-commute; it was not doing it when I left work. It only occurs when I let off the gas and the car begins to decelerate; the instant I press the gas even slightly the noise stops. Furthermore, the faster I'm going when I let off the gas, the louder and more rapid the buzzing is; as the car slows, the noise gets fainter and seemingly less rapid. If I let my foot rest on the gas pedal without pushing it, I can feel a vibration that corresponds with the buzz. To my untrained ears, it seems as if the noise/vibration is coming from the front of the car, but that's as specific as I can tell you and could be completely wrong. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, and how serious or inconsequential it might be? Any help is appreciated, and I will be glad to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability, or provide more information as needed. THANKS!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. crawl under your car and check to see if the heat sheilds around the cat is secure. The cat may be falling apart on the inside causing the buzzing. bump our cat and see if you might hear a rattling sound all the way to the muffler. you can put on a pair of gloves and bump the exhaust system to hear for buzz or rattling.