The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   CR-V Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/cr-v-forum-13/)
-   -   2014 CRV Bearing/Whistle Noise (https://hondaforum.com/forum/cr-v-forum-13/2014-crv-bearing-whistle-noise-17200/)

integrasarethebest 03-01-2024 12:32 PM

2014 CRV Bearing/Whistle Noise

Hey guys, Just got this thing used, 122k miles. Did the general maintenance items when bought, including tensioner and drive belt, and getting a strong spring in that VVT solenoid to shut that thing up. New intake tubing, fresh oil and fluid throughout. New tires (just rotated) and no CEL. At about 126k miles now and hearing a faint, constant whistle coming from the front passenger side. It's loudest under load in sixth gear, over 40mph, and does NOT follow RPM's with pitch. It never changes pitch actually. Brought it to a trans shop, they couldn't see anything wrong with the trans and confirmed the noise was not coming from it. Any ideas?? Here's a video of it. Sorry if it's difficult to hear it. VIDEO In the video I'm putting my foot on the gas, and taking it back off. That's why it comes and goes.
​​

grcauto 03-01-2024 08:34 PM

I think that's from airflow.

Bubbalou88 03-02-2024 04:28 AM

Agreed! Also think it is airflow

Just Ducky 03-03-2024 01:25 AM

Snow White

After parsing through the word salad description and listening to the audio with my hearing aids cranked, I felt that this statement “New intake tubing…” was the best clue.

Whistling while it works.

integrasarethebest 03-03-2024 12:16 PM

I can't imagine where it would be coming from on the passenger side if it's air though. Any ideas?

I only replaced the intake tube because I originally thought it was air leaking from the tube that was originally on it. No change.

grcauto 03-03-2024 03:42 PM

Could be air going through any of the shields or air dams in the front end.

Just Ducky 03-03-2024 08:50 PM

Just a thought

Originally Posted by grcauto (Post 44082)
Could be air going through any of the shields or air dams in the front end.

Is there a possibility of checking that out with a leaf blower?

grcauto 03-04-2024 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Just Ducky (Post 44086)
Is there a possibility of checking that out with a leaf blower?

Doubt it.

integrasarethebest 03-14-2024 05:40 PM

UPDATE:
Now the noise is louder, and constant even if I'm only moving at 10-15MPH, and doesn't require me pressing the gas pedal. The sound and pitch are the same.

This surely can't be air... Can it??

Just Ducky 03-14-2024 08:32 PM

Heir

If the noise is constant over a range of conditions then it would logical to conclude that the source is not the front clip.

Other things that can create the noise you recorded could be;
Vacuum leak
Intake leak
Exhaust leak
Coolant expansion from a radiator cap.
and even something as simple as a poorly seated/damaged air filter gasket.

Obviously I’m guessing so all I can recommend is that you keep looking. Maybe find/improvise a way to record while motoring about from different locations under the hood/bonnet.

Good hunting