The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   CR-V Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/cr-v-forum-13/)
-   -   Dragging brakes on one side, bald tire on the other (https://hondaforum.com/forum/cr-v-forum-13/dragging-brakes-one-side-bald-tire-other-16632/)

Mr.Black 05-21-2023 09:44 AM

Dragging brakes on one side, bald tire on the other

Apologies ahead of time if this has been coverd somewhere already or if it's just a stupid question.

I'm running a 2006 Honda CR-Vse Auto. I recently had to replace my rear brakes (pads, rotors and calipers) because the rear drivers side were frozen up, not completely locked to the point I couldn't drive but enough that the pads wore down to nothing and the rotor was too hot to touch after a slow 5 mile drive. That set-up aside, after replacing everything I noticed my opposite rear tire (opposite to the formerly frozen brakes) was nearly entirely bald. My question is, did this occur when the brakes were frozen up and I simply wasn't paying attention when I took the tires off, or did I botch something and cause it afterwards?

a side note here, I'm no mechanic and this was the first time I had to do the calipers. I bled them with some help and I had someone more experienced take a look before I put everything back together.

grcauto 05-21-2023 06:56 PM

A bald tire as if the brakes were engaged and you were driving it with a tire hardly turning?

Mr.Black 05-21-2023 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto (Post 42032)
A bald tire as if the brakes were engaged and you were driving it with a tire hardly turning?

The drivers side rear was basically locked up but the passenger side is pretty uniformly bald. Almost like it was roasted but I can't say I noticed it when I installed the new brakes. It's perfectly possible I wasn't paying attention and it was bald from basically working overtime because the other was dragging a bit because I was too focused on getting parts removed and reinstalled. But i want to make sure I didn't screw something up when I replaced the brakes.

I'm sorry if I'm not describing this well, I'm more of a visual and hands on guy than a wordsmith.

grcauto 05-21-2023 08:47 PM

A tire loses thread other than normal wear by brakes locking it up or by doing burnouts. You normally will hear it.

Mr.Black 05-22-2023 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by grcauto (Post 42037)
A tire loses thread other than normal wear by brakes locking it up or by doing burnouts. You normally will hear it.

I can safely say I'm not doing burnouts and these brakes aren't locked up. The brakes were semi locked up on the opposite side. I replaced the brakes on both sides and the tread is worn down around the entire tire, not just a single spot as if it was dragging.

grcauto 05-22-2023 08:41 PM

If the wheel rotates normally the tire is just bad.

Mr.Black 05-23-2023 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto (Post 42053)
If the wheel rotates normally the tire is just bad.

I guess I'm asking if it's possible that the passenger side was basically over compensating for the driver side while it was dragging.

grcauto 05-23-2023 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Black (Post 42063)
I guess I'm asking if it's possible that the passenger side was basically over compensating for the driver side while it was dragging.

How would that make you lose tread?

Mr.Black 05-23-2023 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto (Post 42067)
How would that make you lose tread?

with an AWD it's my understanding that the tires can rotate individually. So if one is locked up and dragging, couldn't the other possibly spin? Like if you were to roast the tires.

I'm not saying thats what happened, I'm asking questions to try and figure out why only one tire has gone bald when it wasn't the one that was having brake problems.

grcauto 05-23-2023 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Black (Post 42069)
with an AWD it's my understanding that the tires can rotate individually. So if one is locked up and dragging, couldn't the other possibly spin? Like if you were to roast the tires.

I'm not saying thats what happened, I'm asking questions to try and figure out why only one tire has gone bald when it wasn't the one that was having brake problems.

They all do AWD or not. Did you do a full set of tires?