The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   CR-V Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/cr-v-forum-13/)
-   -   High mileage, dying transmission 2008: let it go? (https://hondaforum.com/forum/cr-v-forum-13/high-mileage-dying-transmission-2008-let-go-15932/)

wrd121 03-24-2022 09:51 AM

High mileage, dying transmission 2008: let it go?

I have a 2008 EX-L with ~256K miles on it. Still driving reasonably well other than an occasional shaking/stutter it's had for many thousands of miles. Been told the transmission has metal (probably more than just shavings I imagine) in the fluid though and needs to be replaced or will die at some time, though who knows when. Also need ~$1400 in front suspension work (struts/sway bar links). All told looking at ~$3500 for just the most basic fixes of putting in a used transmission (with 130K miles on it already) and doing the suspension work.

KBB of car is anywhere from $2800-6000 according to calculators, though possibly less than that. But would basically have to spend $30k+ to get any sort of good slightly used or brand new CR-V in my local market.

Can afford that if needed but looking for opinions - should I invest in keeping the old one rolling or at this point cut my losses and invest that as 10% of a new one? I have no familiarity with transmission failure and replacement so just trying to get a handle on whether it is a poor return on investment at this point. Only reason I'm even considering is because both used and new cars are so wildly inflated right now.

grcauto 03-24-2022 12:37 PM

I don't know your financial situation but the decision is yours. I can't tell you because I don't know you or your circumstances. Ask your friends. They will be better able to advise you.

acmech52 03-24-2022 02:09 PM

welcome to the forum. i am not a wealthy person, usually broke. my opinion would be to do some research into a good used low milage transmission from a salvage yard, or ebay salvage yards, or google site that has your type and make trans. find a good reputable shop that is willing to change the trans for a fair amount $ 3 to 600.00. most ebay or reputable salvage yards will give you a 90 day warranty. your 235k engine when cared for well will make 400k+ the cheapest car is the one paid for. a newer ride is more expensive than to repair what has been paid off. again my opinion.

Finch Platte 03-28-2022 03:51 PM

Now is not the time to buy a used/new car.

grcauto 03-28-2022 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Finch Platte (Post 39668)
Now is not the time to buy a used/new car.

If you need a car soon what do you propose? Could be now is a buyers market and we just don;t know that yet.

Finch Platte 03-28-2022 06:22 PM

Used/new cars are pretty sparse on the lots around here. Don't know if this has transferred to the private markets or not. If so, I imagine there're a lot of shady cars out there.

2007CRV 04-23-2022 02:44 PM

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.
If you're still around, I'm curious about which route you took.