CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Added oil additive, now rough idle and low rpm hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 04:01 AM
Default Added oil additive, now rough idle and low rpm hesitation

So i have been repairing oil leaks like crazy on my 2003 CRV (2.4L auto), namely, the infamous VTEC solenoid gasket and also a hack to fix the oring between the solenoid itself and the VTEC solenoid body, with a piece of rubber tyre inner tube to get me by untill the new oring part arrives.
This has worked well, and no more oil leak, but then I decided to take advantage of the new found comfort that antything I add to the crankcase, will now stay in the crankcase, and therefor decided to try to fix my slighly noisy engine (under load) with some valvoline Proffesional VPS Oil aditive.
OOPS.
I poured it in the entire bottle, and idled the car and no problems then, but then didnt drive the car for 3 days and today I drive it and its idling like a dog and low rpm is just a disaster; hunting all over the place. It sounds just like what a manifld gasket vacuum leak (large intake leak) would normaly sound like, hunting up and down.
This is the stuff.
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/v...262813775.html
I got it in a department stoere hardware section thinking it woudl be ok coz it said VALVOLINE on it.

It seems to be non existant on the valvoine VPS product page for valvoline south east asia.
https://www.valvoline.com/en-asia/our-products/vps
My gut tels me it ended up for sale here in the ephilippines coz its the only country that couldnt fight a court case againast sellign something that was recalled due to being so terrible. They probabyl sent all the garbage here for these suckers. (This happens often here)

so im the sucker.

So what do we all think is actually happening here inside my engine. What has changed.

Ive never add a car where oil grade or viscosity could affect idle.
But this VTEC seems to be a completely diffferent kettle of fish.

Could I have increased the viscosity so much that the VTEC is somehow stuck on engaged and is now opening the second valve all the way even at idle leading to poor low RPM combustion?

Last edited by Jeremy Thompson; 02-13-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

check your idle cut off to see if it is clean.