The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   CR-V Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/cr-v-forum-13/)
-   -   Little or no Heat 2018 Honda CRV (https://hondaforum.com/forum/cr-v-forum-13/little-no-heat-2018-honda-crv-12396/)

m4deroche 01-02-2018 02:31 PM

Little or no Heat 2018 Honda CRV

After much research I bought a 2018 Honda CRV EX 1.5L Turbo. I was so excited to have the remote start. I was not going to buy a car without it. I am very happy with the car except for the heat. This past week the temps have been around -12 to -19 for lows and in the single digits during the day. With these cold temps I use the remote start which starts the car easily but after 10 minutes the car is not warmed up. I begin driving and drive for 30 minutes to work. During my drive the temp gauge goes up to almost half if I am going up a hill but will drop down to non existent or 1 or 2 bars at a red light or stop sign or even while gliding. During this 30 minute ride I am only getting heat while applying gas. I am convinces that if I was caught in a snow storm and was off the road for any length of time I would freeze. I have never owned a car that would not give heat while idling. Does anyone else have this problem?

I brought it to the dealer today and they said there was noting wrong with it. It did warm up on my way to the dealership because I was on the highway for 20 minute to get there. When I pick up the car tonight the Tech and I are going for a 30 minute ride. I hope he agrees that there is something wrong, otherwise I'm probably going to get rid of the car. I bought the CRV to replace my Odyssey that runs fine and has awesome heat but is awful in the snow.

acmech52 01-03-2018 09:54 AM

welcome to the forum. ask the tech if the thermostat can be changed to a lower temp, this will allow water to flow quicker. also there may be an air blanket that can be used to keep the flow of cold air to the radiator to keep it warmer. also have the tech check the radiator fan to make sure it does not go on until the rad temp gets to its normal heat. if the fan is on, it will continue to keep the rad water cold so not proper heat. make sure you record and document time, date, start time to warm air time.

m4deroche 01-03-2018 10:30 PM

Thanks so much! I'll pass the information on to the tech.

Marc 01-06-2018 07:35 AM

Also check the coolant level. Too little coolant can cause this problem.

billoster 03-04-2018 08:33 AM

I found your post while googling problems I’m having with my 2017 1.5L CRV. I live in Alberta and it’s been a cold winter. I don’t suffer from poor heating but it is a symptom I’ve see from others who have the same issue I do. Check your oil to see if both the level is too high, and if it smells of gas. There is an issue with this engine that is affecting quite a few people, particularly in colder climates, and many report problems with the heat as well. It may not be related but it’s worth checking. My vehicle has 12000km on it and there was so much gas in my oil that the tech said it came out like water. My cylinder head is being replaced as a result of engine damage.

Andy1 03-10-2018 11:51 AM

Two week old CRV-EXL here. About 400 miles. So far the heat is very good, reside in the Buffalo NY area, temperatures mostly in the 20's (F). It does take a while for the temp gauge to register a warm engine, but heat comes in about a mile. I am curious about how the maintenance indicator works, is it simply mileage based or does it actually analyze the oil for wear and alert the driver?

Waterboyz 03-13-2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Andy1 (Post 29861)
Two week old CRV-EXL here. About 400 miles. So far the heat is very good, reside in the Buffalo NY area, temperatures mostly in the 20's (F). It does take a while for the temp gauge to register a warm engine, but heat comes in about a mile. I am curious about how the maintenance indicator works, is it simply mileage based or does it actually analyze the oil for wear and alert the driver?

Should be in another thread but I will answer anyway.
The MM is a complicated algorithm. It does not sense or test the oil. It does not even know if you are using blinker fluid or transmission fluid.

Cmckinnonr 02-21-2021 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by m4deroche (Post 29546)
After much research I bought a 2018 Honda CRV EX 1.5L Turbo. I was so excited to have the remote start. I was not going to buy a car without it. I am very happy with the car except for the heat. This past week the temps have been around -12 to -19 for lows and in the single digits during the day. With these cold temps I use the remote start which starts the car easily but after 10 minutes the car is not warmed up. I begin driving and drive for 30 minutes to work. During my drive the temp gauge goes up to almost half if I am going up a hill but will drop down to non existent or 1 or 2 bars at a red light or stop sign or even while gliding. During this 30 minute ride I am only getting heat while applying gas. I am convinces that if I was caught in a snow storm and was off the road for any length of time I would freeze. I have never owned a car that would not give heat while idling. Does anyone else have this problem?

I brought it to the dealer today and they said there was noting wrong with it. It did warm up on my way to the dealership because I was on the highway for 20 minute to get there. When I pick up the car tonight the Tech and I are going for a 30 minute ride. I hope he agrees that there is something wrong, otherwise I'm probably going to get rid of the car. I bought the CRV to replace my Odyssey that runs fine and has awesome heat but is awful in the snow.

I have some experience with a 2018 CRV with the L15B7 engine.

I also found driving at slow speeds engine coolant temperature does not reach NOT (normal operating temperature) .

I found that turning off ECO mode helps a little bit.

Best results were found when car was driven in Sport or slow (whatever S stand for) or Low "gears" instead of Drive. ( not recommended to use L when traveling over 20 mph as high engine speed will cause excessive wear).

The vehicle will consume more fuel when driven in these modes, hints the higher output of cabin heat. After NOT is achieved return to D.

Andy1 02-22-2021 09:24 AM

I noticed a change in engine temperature after the dealer performed the gas in oil recall. The dealer replaced a climate control module which seemed to prolong engine warmup time.Not sure what it is that the temperature gauge actually reads, some internal engine temperature or coolant temp. I originally thought the module kept the engine temp higher so that the gas would burn off and not dump into the oil. If the temp gauge reads coolant temp, to me it means that the engine is running hotter at the expense of the heat.