CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Low Beam headlight won't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 AM
Question Low Beam headlight won't work

My wife's 2005 CR-V right low beam headlight won't work. The left low beam and both brights work.

I thought just needed replacement, but bulb is good. I have checked bulb harness connectivity and it is good, but there is only very minimal power coming through the plug at the headlight. I checked fuses, they are good. I checked the Relay, and they both are good. The left low beam works with both the relay it had, AND the relay that was in the right side. I tried plugging a relay in just one side in, and when I plug it in the left, the left low beam works. But when I just plug a relay in the right side... BOTH low beams come on but VERY dim. OHM at the right plug is below 1.0. OHM reading at the left is over 13.0.

It would appear there might be a problem at the relay connection in fuse box? Anyone have this issue, or any ideas?

Kegmaster

Old 11-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. looking at the 05 elec headlight diagram, it appears that the headlight power wire goes from the left to the right ( not the same power wire ) , check to see if there is any short or damage to the power line. wire cable goes across the lower cross beam near the radiator to the right side. also check the back side of the plug to make sure all the clips are in good and not backed out of the plug to the light. need to trace back the power wire from the (right) low beam back to the fuse. there may be also a small box it goes through before back to the fuse. or chase the power wire from the right low beam fuse out to the headlight.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:12 PM

Well done, you've found your problem
Now it is just a matter of figuring out what to do to fix it.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. looking at the 05 elec headlight diagram, it appears that the headlight power wire goes from the left to the right ( not the same power wire ) , check to see if there is any short or damage to the power line. wire cable goes across the lower cross beam near the radiator to the right side. also check the back side of the plug to make sure all the clips are in good and not backed out of the plug to the light. need to trace back the power wire from the (right) low beam back to the fuse. there may be also a small box it goes through before back to the fuse. or chase the power wire from the right low beam fuse out to the headlight.
Thanks for the Intel. I'll look at it this weekend. I've never been good with wiring, but will give it a shot.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

don't feel bad, i had no clue how to fix wiring on my 70 roadrunner in 73 but after 4 hrs of wire hunt and fix, my head lights worked, it was a hot line short under the dash board for mine, blew the fuse 2 times for me to figure out i had a dead short! if you go to You Tube and type in 05 crv headlight wire diagram, youll find it (small) need to enlarge to view unless you still have great eye sight.