CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Transmission Shudder 2008 CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:51 AM
Default Transmission Shudder 2008 CR-V

OK, so I recently sold my mint 1998 CR-V whose only "vice" was an abrupt throttle-on downshift under power from 3 to 2.

So far, so good.

I found a very nice 2008 one-owner CR-V with 114k gentle miles on it (older single female who didn't hot-rod the vehicle) as nice as my '98, and parked it for 2 months while I was selling my '98, during which time I changed the A/C compressor clutch because the bearing was noisy (common complaint but my car was past the extended "courtesy" warranty on that problem).

When I parked it, it seemed to be running flawlessly.

I licensed the vehicle last week and almost immediately I started noticing a slight shudder at 1500-1700rpm in the top gears I think when the torque converter tries to lock up.

I figured the lock-up solenoid is Pulse Width Modulated so was kind of "in-between" causing the shudder, or the fluid friction coefficient was compromised. Today I drained the transmission (3.5 quarts came out), and for good measure changed the external trans fluid filter on the front cross member.

The drained fluid looked only slightly darker than the new stuff (Genuine Honda DW fluid) and smelled fresh with no hint of burned smell. It was fairly transparant with no real sign of contamination from clutch particles unless the filter collected everything.

I have done some searches, and unknown to me the transmissions on the Gen III CR-Vs are known to fail as early as 50,000mi even with careful driving and book maintenance. It appears the first step is a new torque converter (the dealer wants $4000), and a tech I spoke to said that the REAL maintenance required to give the torque converter a prayer is a complete flush (not just a drain and refill like I did today) and filter every 20,000 miles.

I don't have records with my "new" CR-V but I seriously dount it got flushes every 20,000mi.

Since this is apparently a common problem, maybe someone has a suggestion to nurse the tranny along. Someone suggested using Dexron III instead as it has a different coefficient of friction and helps a LOT, but the moderators said stick with the Honda fluid and just replace the T/C.

Some leave the trans in D3 until 3000rpm then allow the transmission to shift into OD, but they say it takes 5 to 8mpg off the former fuel economy, which would not be my choice, of course.

So what do you with Gen III trannys do when they start shuddering, and conversely, how long with the transmission last once it starts doing the shudder thing?

Any suggestions welcome, and in the mean time I'll be searching other sites to see what may be out there.

Thanks for any consideration-
Bob

Old 09-22-2018, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

i was told that honda may be able to reprogram the transmission software to stop the trans shudder. and do not use anything else but Honda transmission fluiid. dextron III will work for a short time, then the trans slips or dies.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
i was told that honda may be able to reprogram the transmission software to stop the trans shudder. and do not use anything else but Honda transmission fluiid. dextron III will work for a short time, then the trans slips or dies.
Some people said that same thing about a re-flash, but they said after paying $$$ for a re-flash, it did nothing, after which Honda told them they needed a new Torque Converter or a new Transmission.

I have not yet found a post that said a re-flash actually worked to alleviate the shudder unless you are aware of success?

I suppose wasting a few hundred dollars is not the worst thing in the world when faced with thousands in repairs, however.

Have you/Do you have your transmission flushed every 20,000 miles?
Have you suffered any shudder?
Just curious about other experiences of CR-V owners.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob

Old 09-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

i do not own a cr-v, have friends who do own them. few owners have Honda change the trans fluid each 30k miles and non have shudder. those who never had their trans fluid changed have experienced shudder but live with it. their plan to trade it in for a new cr-v closer to retirement.(lol)

Old 09-23-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
i do not own a cr-v, have friends who do own them. few owners have Honda change the trans fluid each 30k miles and non have shudder. those who never had their trans fluid changed have experienced shudder but live with it. their plan to trade it in for a new cr-v closer to retirement.(lol)
Are you saying that very few have had fluid changes every 30k miles and NOT (rather than "non") had shudder?

I do understand you said that those who NEVER serviced their transmissions HAVE shudder but just live with it. (I wonder if it deteriorates leading to failure?)

My shudder level is minimal at this time (more of a "flutter" between 1500 and 1700 rpm as it feels the transmission is "confused" on whether to have the torque converter lock up or not. Once it hits 1800 or so rpm it has ceased and all is good.

I can live with the current condition fine as long as it doesn't get much worse. I don't know if by multiple fluid changes if I can stabilize the situation
so that it doesn't get worse.

I also changed the external filter, and will do another drain and fill shortly. I don't know if I can arrest the condition at present levels. I was amazed at how clean the fluid was and how red it was still, and the drain plug magnet was clean as a whistle.

I cannot speak with the owner (purchaser) because she had a stoke and no longer speaks, and so cannot communicate as to the car's maintenance history, but I know she had the local selling dealer do all the oil changes, so maybe the Honda dealer will share the car's maintenance history with me since they likely did whatever work was performed since the car was new.

I know Honda now says a full power flush (not just a drain/fill) every 20,000mi is recommended and that 30k drain and refill just isn't enough on these units, so that's why I am trying to clarify if you said "NONE" have shudder or have "NOT" had shudder (meaning in the absence of frequent fluid changes few have avoided shudder).

I basically LIKE the vehicle but would be unwilling to dump $3000 into transmission repairs. I will keep the CR-V if I can keep it from getting worse (I have a lift so it's child's play, and drain/refills cost me only $20 for Honda DW fluid) even if I do it every 10,000mi.

But if it will just keep getting worse despite any attempts now to "clean it out", the vehicle will be sold. This is the second CR-V I will have had with transmission problems (my older one was a '98 that had HARD 3-2 downshifts and was building metal filings on the magnetic drain plug despite fluid changes), so I won't be buying any more poorly engineered Honda vehicles. I have friends with older 4Runners ('96-'02) who tow extensively and have 300k + and have never had an engine or tranny problem and would likely just try to find a low mileage (150k) example, or not sell my '03 Subaru Forester that still shifts like new at 200k and are often good to 300k. The Subaru AWD system is far superior to Honda's system, though it's not like roads here are like New England or Alaska where I previously lived as far as snow is concerned.

Report on the ineffectiveness of Honda's "Real Time AWD":
https://teknikensvarld.se/honda-cr-v...-again-163708/

Last edited by bobinyelm; 09-23-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:56 AM

Doing a lot of reading about the shudder problem-

Maybe your friends with shudder should try this-

I just ordered some from Amazon.

The reviews are almost unbelievable:

Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx

Read the 600+ endorsements of the stuff.

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-20-2018, 05:27 PM

CVT trans should not be using Dr. Tranny fluid according to Dr. Tranny maker.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by vintgmxer
CVT trans should not be using Dr. Tranny fluid according to Dr. Tranny maker.
Are you instructing me?

Or are you asking me if I know that?

I suppose if my car had a CVT your comment would be relevant, however.

Bob

Old 11-30-2023, 06:31 AM

Old thread I know but wondering what ever came of this 2008 CRV. Did the tranny survive? Any fixes performed?
I just picked up a 2010 for daily with 130K and have the same issues.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2023, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Merc1100sc
Old thread I know but wondering what ever came of this 2008 CRV. Did the tranny survive? Any fixes performed?
I just picked up a 2010 for daily with 130K and have the same issues.

Thanks
Best start a new thread.