The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Element Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/element-forum-14/)
-   -   ODBII, Radio, and Power door locks all quit at the same time (https://hondaforum.com/forum/element-forum-14/odbii-radio-power-door-locks-all-quit-same-time-13622/)

Tim Burke 06-25-2019 11:42 PM

ODBII, Radio, and Power door locks all quit at the same time

Not sure if these issues are related but here it goes: The display on my radio has gone completely blank and pushing the on switch does nothing. I was wondering if there was a fault code that I could read that might help me so I attached my code reader to the OBD-II under the driver's side dash and no lights came on the reader, indicating no power to the outlet. My door locks will work with the ignition key on only. If I turn off the Element and try to lock the doors with the door switch it does nothing. Turn the power on and it works great.

I have checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash. No obvious signs of shorting. I changed out the fuses for the radio just in case with no luck. I have not yet put a meter on anything in the box to check for power and I have not pulled out the radio to check the connections yet.

Any idea if these three issues are on the same circuit? Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps for me to help diagnose these issues?
Thanks,
Tim
2006 Honda Element

avisitor 06-26-2019 01:58 PM

Don't know about the OBDII or Data Link Connector.
However, the power door locks and the radio seem to be on the same circuit
The power door locks are also powered through another circuit when the ignition switch is turned on.
This happened to me after I hooked up a new battery the wrong way
It shorted out the radio and blew the fuse.

It usually is related to the same fuse.
How did you check the fuses? Pulled each one out and looked at it or used a meter?
Or did you use a test light?
Might need to pull a schematic to see what else could be on the line

Tim Burke 06-26-2019 02:02 PM

I pulled the fuses and looked at each one for any signs of shorting. I put new fuses in on the circuits that were marked for the radio. By the way, the power outlet on the dash works fine. What fuses did you have to replace for your power door locks and radio?

avisitor 06-26-2019 02:14 PM

Oh, this happened to my Hyundai Elantra
But, same thing with no power to the door lock unless the ignition key was turned on
No radio, it was shorted.

For the radio, there were two fuses.
One is hot at all times.
The other is hot when key is on.
That was the fuse that was "OPEN" not shorted.
Should check the bigger fusible links too

The easy way to check for blown fuses is with a test light
Turn key on and put test light clip to goo d ground and probe the test points on the fuses
Both sides of the fuse test points should light up
If only one side then fuse is blown