General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

BeaconHill

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Cool BeaconHill

uhh so beacon hill is full of a bunch of rice racers who are probably on here HA. but all they do is get a hatchback honda and a black hood and say theyre dope but they have stock vtec motors something like d15 or d16s? im trying to get a 95 Civic EX 2 door or 4 door **NOT HATCHBACK** ej1, and drop my cousins modded b16 or b18 in it. i dont know much of these motors im a v8 muscle guy but im down to learn so first of all,

any suggestions on where to find a clean stock 95 civic ex 5 speed ej1 preferably black (either way im going to repaint black) i have probably 4-5 thousand trying to pay under 3k for the stock car then use the rest on further modification to a b16 or b18.

second whats the major difference on b16 or b18? i heard these "B" motors have low compression.. is v-tec much of a difference? whats dohc and sohc? something to do with high compression im guessing?

third please someone tell me how v-tec works -___- somethin to do with increased timing? more valves opening closing.. weird.

i know the answer to these questions are probably on this forum somewhere but im new so i guess ill just post here.

looking to create something sexy like this with the power to smash on this red honda im particuliarly targeting that has 250 horse.

probably thee sexiest honda ive seen

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. to find engines, ebay, local salvage yards, specialty salvage yards that have mostly asian cars, honda dealers ( expensive ), Honda racers, craigslist, insurance companies, if you purchase and engine, it would be lesser to purchase the entire car due to needing a few more items to mod the car you want, like the front clip less the sheet metal, and the ecu.
basic b16 and b18 engine is size, used in civics and integras. best if you go to wikipedia.org and type in honda engines, this will give you a lot of info as to which engine, which year and type of car. to much info to list here.
basic vtec works with rpm, oil pressure, lock into larger cam dwell and opening. So as the rpm's get up to 3000+ and oil pressure builds the lower cam dwell and lesser opening get much better breathing and more air and exhaust at higher end. Again go to wikipedia.org and type in vtec, it will give you a lot of info. vtec is also called by many other names all generally work the same idea.
Just my thoughts, I own an 07 Fit, when the engine gets tired, I've thought of spending a chunk of change and putting in a k20 engine with 300+ hp. car weighs approx 2500 lbs, with a front end kit and conversion to standard, I'll have a sleeper fast car. Perhaps then you and I can compare power and speed. If you check with Import tuners, they had this article months back, has been built in Arizona. This one has approx 400hp + supercharged. Tight fit in the engine compartment.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM

thanks acmech52 the wikipedia "honda engines" was pretty helpful. yeah my cousin has a b16 and a 9.5 second b18... thats fast as hell for a 4 cylinder! he switched to the b18 because someone jacked his 88-91 honda civic and tryed to rip the block out but he had custom bolts or something so they left the car on the street and he got it back. its now sitting in his garage so im waiting to find my 92-95, drop it in and get it pullin.