The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   General Honda Talk (https://hondaforum.com/forum/general-honda-talk-38/)
-   -   Do I really need new Struts in my 2008 Accord Honda? (https://hondaforum.com/forum/general-honda-talk-38/do-i-really-need-new-struts-my-2008-accord-honda-7722/)

paturner51 03-10-2012 04:11 PM

Do I really need new Struts in my 2008 Accord Honda?

I have a 2008 Honda Accord LX with 62,000 miles and it has performed admirably. This is my 6th Honda. I am not a mechanic, nor claim to be but DO have some common sense. I do not derive pleasure from working on my Hondas, but do revel in the satisfaction that they look good and last a long time and are safe for my daughter and myself.

Now that I have that out of the way, the issue:

My wife took the Honda to a repair shop. It is seemingly reputable but I don't know that for sure. The young mechanic called me up on my wife's instructions to tell me that I needed front struts and that they would cost $820 for labor and parts.

I tried to get him to explain to my satisfaction WHY the struts needed repair in light of all my excellent experiences with Honda. The car drives straight and true with no problems and handles in a word, GREAT. I am very suspicious of what this guy tells me in light of my history. All I could get out of him was something about leaking water or "loose". <???>.

I ASSUME the handling would change perceptibly if "bad struts". I don't know a strut from streetcar if the truth be told.

To the reader:

Outside of taking the car to a different mechanic shop (BTW this was "NTB" store) to verify, how could my low IQ verify what he says is the real, ground truth? If the car drives well, then should not that prove - by and large - there is no "strut" problem?

I appreciate in advance any concise answers to assist me!

My personal email is LTCTurner@yahoo.com and my name is Patrick Turner

bucwheat 03-13-2012 11:04 AM

If the tires are not wearing/cupping out and it drives OK ,don't worry about it they last longer than 62,000 miles, believe me,I have 100,000 on my 2000 Accord with no problems.

lowlife9 03-15-2012 09:05 PM

well just because some last for hundreds of thousands of miles doesn't mean all of them will he may have said leaking oil if they are leaking oil then yes there on there way out and will soon need to be replaced but as for the 900 dollars no way front struts will take a good mechanic 30 min each and you don't need honda brand struts Tockico,Illumina and KYB make oem replacements for alot cheaper. i would take the wheel off and inspect it yourself to know for sure.

bucwheat 03-16-2012 10:03 AM

Well if they are leaking then it's pretty obvious they need replacing.

Rose Frankie 10-21-2013 05:21 AM

I will suggest that replace as soon as possible