The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   General Honda Talk (https://hondaforum.com/forum/general-honda-talk-38/)
-   -   How's this for mileage? (https://hondaforum.com/forum/general-honda-talk-38/hows-mileage-12911/)

fitness1 08-09-2018 04:38 PM

How's this for mileage?

1 Attachment(s)
I've had my new '18 Civic hatch sport for two months as of yesterday. All the driving has been in town except for two 50 mile and one 100 mile trips. I just went past 1100 miles (it was dealer traded so there was 150 on it when I bought it) and I'm averaging 40.3 mpg! This is my 16th new Honda and I've never had it quite that good!

Just love the car!

acmech52 08-10-2018 12:08 AM

that is good driving. good honda too.

Honda_Addiction 09-01-2018 02:18 AM

Good job! I think my 2003 Civic auto tranny would get 36 mpg in city driving. It could get 50 mpg on the highway but I had to keep speed to 55 mph. *After I put on the factory spoiler, highway mpg went to 48.

fitness1 09-01-2018 12:23 PM

It's actually inched it's way up to 40.7 as of 1500 miles.:)

Honda_Addiction 09-01-2018 01:42 PM

That's good. Try holding yourself to 55 mph on highway trips. See what your mileage is then.

fitness1 09-01-2018 01:53 PM

I do when I'm on the highway, but due to elderly parent issues, I don't get out of town much. I've only had one 30 miler out of town since I posted originally.

Honda_Addiction 09-01-2018 01:55 PM

I'm sorry your parents have reached that stage (mom just came home yesterday, she is at "end of life" stage now herself).

So you hold to 55 mph? That's great! I am a huge advocate of slower cruising speeds for a multitude of reasons, the main being better gas mileage.

fitness1 09-01-2018 02:04 PM

Sorry to hear about your Mom - my Dad just passed 6 months ago and Mom is extremely fragile. I've been living there for 3 years trying to keep the peace.
My drive into my studio is 3 miles at 55 mph limit and 3 miles at 35. Many days I can hit the two lights and I don't even have to stop. The mileage would be better if I didn't do a shorter start/stop drive to the golf course M-F.:D

Honda_Addiction 09-01-2018 04:15 PM

Were you the youngest child? I am and it was always expected of me to take care of mom and dad when the time came. Well, that time has come.

It's very easy to get depressed. Just now I was sitting here wishing I had a time machine to go back and enjoy times past with mom and dad. Watching "H.G. Wells' The Time Machine" on TMC is not helping! :P

Tomorrow I want to get more into my old habits of a morning gym visit followed by one project or another although dad would not be able to change mom's diaper alone. I could probably do it alone but having dad there to help is a big deal. Hopefully he can hire some help to stay with them soon.

fitness1 09-02-2018 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Honda_Addiction (Post 31043)
Were you the youngest child? I am and it was always expected of me to take care of mom and dad when the time came. Well, that time has come.

It's very easy to get depressed. Just now I was sitting here wishing I had a time machine to go back and enjoy times past with mom and dad. Watching "H.G. Wells' The Time Machine" on TMC is not helping! :P

Tomorrow I want to get more into my old habits of a morning gym visit followed by one project or another although dad would not be able to change mom's diaper alone. I could probably do it alone but having dad there to help is a big deal. Hopefully he can hire some help to stay with them soon.

I'm the only surviving child - my brother passed 15 years ago. He always lived somewhere else so I knew it would be on me. We kept Dad home longer than we should have, and although the things you are going through now seem to be very hard, I'd give anything to help Dad one more time with his bathroom/diaper/cleanup. Those are the times you learn about true love.

I'm a personal fitness trainer and musician by trade, the exercise and music got me through the toughest of times and I'm thankful for that.

Back on the topic - I took a 60 mile, one way trip to see some old friends last night and now I'm up to 41.2 at 1700 miles!:)