The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://hondaforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-37/)
-   -   2002 Honda Civic (https://hondaforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-37/2002-honda-civic-13050/)

Austin Dority 10-08-2018 01:23 AM

2002 Honda Civic

Wire on alternater came lose and now the car bogs really bad and barely revs to 2000 rpms need help

avisitor 10-08-2018 04:31 PM

Did you clean the terminals and put it back on tight?
There should be 5 wires going to the alternator
"B" .. One goes from battery to alternator ... charges battery (charging voltage)
"IG" .. Another goes from the ignition to alternator to charge up the field coils so the alternator can develop charge to feed the battery (12 volts)
"L" .. Another goes from the PCM to the alternator and determines if the dash warning battery light goes on or not (12 volts)
"C" .. Another goes from the PCM to the alternator to determine charge mode (PCM volt out, pulled lo then lo charge mode; pulled hi then hi charge mode)
"FR" .. Another goes from the PCM to the alternator to adjust engine idle speed (PCM volt out, pulled lo then hi idle; pulled hi then lo idle)

Austin Dority 10-08-2018 06:46 PM

Yes I hooked the connection back up and it started running really poorly it’s like it’s flooding or something it has a rough idle and it bogs when I try to rev it and it’ll only rev to about 2000 rpms

Austin Dority 10-08-2018 07:21 PM

The green key light in my dash doesn’t stop blinking and my cel is on

avisitor 10-08-2018 09:55 PM

So, was it running okay before you hooked the wire back on??
Will need to scan or code read the ECM

Not sure which wire?? Goes where?

acmech52 10-08-2018 10:55 PM

welcome to the forum, now that you have the code, it says its the top dead center sensor #1.

Austin Dority 10-08-2018 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor (Post 31357)
So, was it running okay before you hooked the wire back on??
Will need to scan or code read the ECM

Not sure which wire?? Goes where?

the wire came unhooked while running and I think it shorted out on something and I noticed the battery light came on so I killed it noticed the wire lose hooked it back up started the car back up and now it runs like this

avisitor 10-09-2018 07:18 AM

I would think that shutting off the engine before re-attaching the wire should just return the engine to the previous state (running well)??
Should read codes. And get as much information as possible.
Many of the wires goes to the PCM. Maybe it needs a reset??
Take the battery cable off for ten minutes and then reattach??
It should reset the PCM and turn off the CEL??
Or use scanner and reset the PCM??

Hopefully, it will return to normal.

Austin Dority 10-09-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor (Post 31360)
I would think that shutting off the engine before re-attaching the wire should just return the engine to the previous state (running well)??
Should read codes. And get as much information as possible.
Many of the wires goes to the PCM. Maybe it needs a reset??
Take the battery cable off for ten minutes and then reattach??
It should reset the PCM and turn off the CEL??
Or use scanner and reset the PCM??

Hopefully, it will return to normal.

I had the battery unhooked all night but I’m going to try to get a scanner today and figure it out

avisitor 10-09-2018 01:51 PM

You mean you did not read the codes first before disconnecting battery???
Then the PCM will not have any codes.