The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://hondaforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-37/)
-   -   car shutting off? (https://hondaforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-37/car-shutting-off-4640/)

onetwo12 10-01-2009 04:39 PM

car shutting off?

I have a 1999 Honda accord sedan ex 170,000 miles. and for the past two weeks i will just be driving along and the engine will just shut off the radio will stay on but i have to put it in neutral and crank it back up it does not crank back up right away but it does eventually. I had a idle speed control valve problem were the car would stall out when idleing. that problem was fixed. But this is happening even on the interstate at 70 mph. any thoughts?:confused:

Staypuff578 10-01-2009 11:01 PM

Maybe altenator problem not keeping the battery juiced enough to provide sufficient power to keep the car running? Hopefully this is some kind of help.

acmech52 10-02-2009 03:08 AM

welcome to the forum. check the fuel pressure in your fuel rail, and see if there might be a fuel filter "canister" clogging. ( if the canister has not been changed, it is the easiest part to change ) Go to hondaautomotiveparts.com and put in the information of your car, and go to fuel pipe, you will see the canister near the fuel tank. Purchase part from autozone, kragen, wallmart, etc.

onetwo12 10-02-2009 02:02 PM

p1259

I took the car to autozone it showed i have a code p1259 problem he couldnt tell me exactly what it was with out taking it to honda. this could also explain the idle problems i had to. can anyone tell me what p1259 is and can it be fixed

acmech52 10-03-2009 04:20 AM

p1259 manufacturer control-fuel air metering // vtec system malfunction yes it can be fixed. I'll do more research .

onetwo12 10-03-2009 09:40 AM

vtec malfunction

ACMECH52 i read that it could be the vtec solenoid valve was clogged i finally got it off and it was clean. also heard it could be the oil pressure switch? dont know how to check that. my oil level is fine does this make sense to you?

acmech52 10-03-2009 11:36 AM

oi under 4k it may be electrical, check the vtec pressue sensor, or bad connection, or damaged wire. over 4k is oil pressure related, low oil level , you cleaned the screen, or vtec solenoid has gone bad. what type of oil are you using in the car? and weight

onetwo12 10-04-2009 12:50 PM

last oil change i put peak performance 10w30 in it. And i think the problem is always under 4k i dont have any electrical equipment to check anything. how can i check the vtec pressure sensor and where is it located? thanks

onetwo12 10-04-2009 08:40 PM

car cut off today about five times. once when i was at a red light idleing it seems like it happens in waves it will cut off then a mile down the road boom cuts off again. but all day yesterday and half the day today it didnt happen at all.