General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Odyssey question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 03:30 AM
Default Odyssey question...

ok well there was no posts in the Odyssey section so i thought i would just post it here...

I have a friend that has i think an 99 or 00 Odyssey that has had it's EGR valve replaced 3 times... and this time they (the dealership) is saying that the part will cost 600 bucks and stuff... and there is NO WAY it would cost that much...or would it? I've never worked on any Honda's before or anything so any help would be grateful... she also said that the place said the EGR was in the rear and it was a canister... why on earth would it be in the rear? and what is in the rear that would look like a canister...i thought maybe the AC condensor or compressor for the rear air but i haven't been able to look under it at all yet... also how hard would it be to replace an EGR valve on the Odysseys? i know how to work on Dodges and Neons...but Honda's are a completely different ball park for me...

Old 11-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Default RE: Odyssey question...

ORIGINAL: neoncrazy101

ok well there was no posts in the Odyssey section so i thought i would just post it here...

I have a friend that has i think an 99 or 00 Odyssey that has had it's EGR valve replaced 3 times... and this time they (the dealership) is saying that the part will cost 600 bucks and stuff... and there is NO WAY it would cost that much...or would it? I've never worked on any Honda's before or anything so any help would be grateful...
I don't know the Odessey but most vehicles are similar in their EVAP systems.

Sounds like you weren't there to hear first hand what was described to her so it's likely a case of confusion as to what they're working on.

she also said that the place said the EGR was in the rear and it was a canister... why on earth would it be in the rear?
Sounds like there is a problem with the EVAP system of which the EGR valve is part of also with other things like the charcoal canister , purge valves , EVAP pressure valves, etc.
The EGR valve that you're commonly familar with is located at the intake manifold area of an engine whereas the other EVAP components are locatedtoward the rear of the vehicle around the fuel tank.

and what is in the rear that would look like a canister...i thought maybe the AC condensor or compressor for the rear air but i haven't been able to look under it at all yet...
This would be the charcoal canister and other EVAP components.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Default RE: Odyssey question...

those odysseys had an EGR emission exstenion warranty as long as it has under 80k.What happens is the EGR port gets clogged and or the valve sticks open or shut.If u want to send me the VIN and I can run it to check the warranty I'm a Honda tech.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:07 PM
Default 2002 honda odessey

i just bough a 2002 honda odessey i using water cant fig out were no over heating at no water oil or trans please help

Old 09-22-2018, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum Lawrence Jr Shinn. have you checked your interior cooler/heater radiator. do you smell any anti freeze in the cabin of the car. when your car is already warmed up, do you see any steam out of the tail pipe or lots of water out of the tail pipe .

Old 12-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Default EGR and EVAP systems are two separate systems, and are not related.

EGR and EVAP systems are two separate systems, and are not related.

EGR, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation, is a valve on the intake manifold (usually) that redirects pressurized exhaust gas into the intake to reduce the combustion temperature, and therefore immissions. It will NEVER be mounted anywhere other than on or near the engine.

The evaporated fuel capture system (usually called evaporative emissions control system, or EVAP) consists of a vacuum line connecting the fuel tank to a charcoal canister in the engine compartment, which absorbs evaporated fuel.

When the car runs and drives, an EVAP Purge valve (usually located on the intake manifold, fuel rail, or nearby) allows the engine to suck air in through the charcoal canister and fuel tank, so it can use the evaporated fuel, rather than let it escape.

There is also an air pressure sensor is the fuel tank that tells the ECU/PCM if the EVAP system is working (because the air pressure in the fuel thank will drop while the engine is sucking air from it).

If your car has an EGR problem, it can get expensive because the EGR valve is sometimes difficult to get at, but the EGR system has no parts away from the engine.

If the EVAP system has to have parts replaced, there shouldn't be a large labor change because EVAP parts are usually really easy to get at.