Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

91 Accord S Light Blinking!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Old 05-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Default 91 Accord S Light Blinking!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Howdy, all,
Great site..... I have a 91 accord with 340K miles on it. Completely rebuilt top end of engine. About four months ago my car wouldn't start. It looked like the fuel pump so, after a bit of research, I replaced the relay first. No joy so I replaced the pump. I also replaced the battery (just to be safe HAHAHA). SO, now the 'S" light blinks, the car spins over, but it won't fire. I've taken the TCU out and checked the caps and resistors that die and they are fine (the board looks new).

I've read that the VS sensors can go bad but they're expensive. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? It's a great old beastie (AC works, new tires, rebuild front suspension, etc.). I'd love to get 500K on her before she meets her maker but am not willing to spend a ton more money on it at this point just because of the reliability and the hinky Pacific Rim electrical system.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Erich

Old 05-31-2017, 11:30 AM

Check main Battery cable NEGATIVE side to make sure it is connected and good clean connection. Also check the Ground point under the distributor for corrosion. That will cause the situation you describe.

Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks! I will!!! I'm at my wit's end with this thing and I'm not 'new' with cars!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Default Still jacked up.....

So, I checked the grounding wires, pulled the VS Sensors and cleaned them, had the battery completely charged and the "S" light is still blinking.

I also pulled the TCU again and tested the components that typically fail and they are all good (It was replaced about 50k Miles ago).

Plenty of oil and trans fluid. It seems as though it's getting fuel. I'm going to check spark tomorrow when I get home but I'm about ready to just sell this thing off for parts.

I could sure use a path to take. Hopefully someone has something helpful.

Thanks

Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Erich0316
So, I checked the grounding wires, pulled the VS Sensors and cleaned them, had the battery completely charged and the "S" light is still blinking.

I also pulled the TCU again and tested the components that typically fail and they are all good (It was replaced about 50k Miles ago).

Plenty of oil and trans fluid. It seems as though it's getting fuel. I'm going to check spark tomorrow when I get home but I'm about ready to just sell this thing off for parts.

I could sure use a path to take. Hopefully someone has something helpful.

Thanks
Have you shorted the blue two pin connector for code checking and read the transmission codes?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Default I hate this car.....

I had the battery disconnected so I don't have any codes. I have tried starting the thing numerous times and can't get it to 'code'. I get nothing from the ECU. The only thing that blinks is the "S" light.

It may be strike a match time.