The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda Accord Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-accord-forum-11/)
-   -   2006 Accord EX V6 with 6 speed clutch (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-accord-forum-11/2006-accord-ex-v6-6-speed-clutch-11076/)

Z.06 11-15-2015 07:44 PM

2006 Accord EX V6 with 6 speed clutch

My daughter has had a 2006 Accord EX V6 with 6 speed transmission since new. The car is babied, but now has 127000 miles on it. A few months ago the clutch started misbehaving and the dealer diagnosed it as a bad master cylinder. He replaced it and the clutch was OK for a while. Had it replaced again and the clutch was OK for about 6 months. Now the clutch pedal occasionally sticks to the floor. In order to resolve the situation my daughter will shut off the engine and pull the clutch pedal up with the side of her foot and it will be OK. I told her how to test for clutch slippage and she reports that the clutch is absolutely not slipping.

I know there are not a lot of Accord V6 manual transmission cars out there. The Honda dealer in Lubbock seems to be unsure himself, but he says they can replace the clutch and pressure plate if we want. I want a little better feeling of certainty before $2000 is spent. I am not sure the problem is not elsewhere. What do you guys think is wrong?

Z.06 11-15-2015 08:37 PM

Added a couple of clarifications above. We have no problems with replacing the clutch and pressure plate, but have some doubts that this is the root of the problem with zero clutch slippage involved.

acmech52 11-18-2015 06:59 AM

welcome to the forum. If the pressure plate springs are getting week, stepping on the clutch may cause the clutch pedal to stay down, the springs are too weak to push the pedal back up.

Z.06 11-18-2015 08:10 AM

Accord V6 Six Speed MT

Two other pieces of data may help. I have had my daughter check the clutch for slip and there is none (high gear, full throttle - no slip).

The clutch pedal on the floor thing is only an occasional thing. Most of the time it is fine.

With these two facts, I am having a hard time finding fault with the pressure plate or clutch. I suspect the master cylinder, but it has been replaced twice in the last 6 months. The replacement master cylinders were not OEM parts though.

acmech52 11-19-2015 07:10 AM

clutch does not have to slip to be a pressure plate. Master or slave clutch cylinder,or pressure plate failing will cause a clutch stuck at the floor. if the pedal does not stick to often and can be driven with no problem, leave it alone.

Sam Stuart 11-30-2015 11:00 PM

Speed

I have issues with the clutch of accord.! got something to know about the problem.!

Z.06 12-01-2015 10:01 AM

Accord V6 Six Speed MT

The master cylinder has been replaced again, this time with an OEM Honda supplied part. The pedal issue has been fixed. Lesson Learned is not to buy aftermarket master cylinders for a Honda Accord from other suppliers. For some things, I guess we better stick to the OEM part. This was a $500 lesson (cost of the aftermarket parts plus installation).