The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda Accord Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-accord-forum-11/)
-   -   86' Accord Flywheel/Starter (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-accord-forum-11/86-accord-flywheel-starter-4301/)

bjperrau 08-01-2009 02:55 PM

86' Accord Flywheel/Starter

Ok, so the starter went bad in my accord recently, the obviouse solution was to go to CSK and buy a rebuilt starter. Well the second I turn the thing over it starts riping teeth from my flywheel! I don't know what happened? Was the starter installed wrong? Was the flywheel just old? Why would the old starter have done this if they operate at the same RPM's? any help or possible solutions would be greatly apreciated. Thanks.

bob marley 08-02-2009 07:48 PM

I have a 1986 exi and had the same problem last week.

I bought this car 4 months ago, and it ran flawlessly up till now.

Tried to start the car, and got a horrible metallic grinding sound.

Foolishly, I tried to tap the starter with a metal bar while a friend tried to start it, and all we got was the screeching sound of metal on metal.

Had it towed to a shop, the torque converter was wrecked, some teeth were sheered right off the thing. Needed a new one, and the tranny had to come out of the car to do it.

Cost a fortune to fix $1600 (thats more than I paid for the car).

I too am wondering how the heck the starter could have chewed up the flywheel like that?

91haydenSI 08-02-2009 08:53 PM

maybe it was the wrong sized started for the tranny either that or it wasnt adjusted right. those starters have to be adjusted just right to make sure the teeth are in teeth. there shouold be a rubber booting on the side of the tranny that you can shine a light in the see the teeth connecting.

bob marley 08-04-2009 02:04 AM

Ok,.. So why did the Torque Converter get totalled? The metal in the TC is much stronger/thicker than the starter and I'm still wondering why the TC was all chewed up even with a bad starter install.....

I bought the car, and the starter had been replaced with an after-market starter a week before I bought it. Was it not installed properly, or not the right starter? Could this have chewed up the TC?

I've now replaced the starter and TC with Honda OEM parts.

I just hope I'm not looking at a repeat performance cuz I love the car, but have already spent more on fixing it , than the car is worth.

Thanks....

acmech52 08-05-2009 04:01 AM

after market starter gear may have seized in the start position, causing the fly wheel to over spin and lock up the start gear causing the grinding, causing damage to the flywheel teeth.
starter gear could have been incorrect, not matched to flywheel teeth. Flywheel teeth get damaged quit often when a person tries to start an already running engine, it make a terrible sound and at times a teeth is damaged.