Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matching numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Default Matching numbers?

Greetings, everyone. New guy here, with a new (to me) car...a 2000 Accord LX 4cyl/AT that I just bought a few days ago from a family friend.

My buddy bought this car as a commuter for his son to get back and forth to college a couple years ago and had a bunch of work done to it by a friend of theirs. College done now, the car went up for sale last week and in a twist of fate and in a tremendous blessing to yours truly I was able to buy the car after my own went belly up on the very same day. Now for the point of my visit...

Back in March the son started having tranny problems so they took it to another friend who {claimed} to have replaced the transmission with a new one, charging him $1200 total for the job. The son's been away in his new job and the car hasn't been run much until I bought it, as I understand it. My buddy knows nothing about cars other than where to put the gas and key, so anything a mechanic tells him (including a 'friend') is accepted as truth. I however, know a thing or two and I suspect that this third party mechanic is either incompetent or he took my buddy for a ride.In the week since I bought the car it has started exhibiting some funny shift issues, culminating with some serious slippage today. Called my buddy right away, whereupon he reaffirmed that they paid to have the tranny replaced...even showing me the exchange of communication betwteen himself and the shop. I have serious doubts that this third party actually replaced the old wonky tranny with a "new" one at all...and would like to confirm that if possible. I've been a car guy since I could roll one around on the carpet but my thing has always been American RWD V8's. Hondas...indeed any import...are a new thing to me entirely. I know you can authenticate through casting numbers whether or not an American classic car has it's original drivetrain but do NOT know if the same applies or can even be confirmed in the realm of Hondas. So my question is, do Hondas of this vintage use matching casting numbers between the VIN/engine/transaxle in some combination thereof, and if so, where can I find all of the relevant stampings?

Sorry for the long-winded intro, everyone...but I'm a writer by election and I have a habit of verbosity.

I look forward to any information you all can share with me. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Rob.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. the engine code is found on the eng block looking from the front left side just under the exhaust manifold where the transmission attaches and the trans code is near the engine code on the block. with the numbers you can go to wikipedia and find the info to the type of trans for what engine and model.