Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Being VERY Tempermental

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Angry 94 Accord Being VERY Tempermental

I'm new here, and I honestly dont know much about cars, so I'm ready to be yelled at for not searching or posting in the wrong forum etc etc, but here it is:

about 4 weeks ago my 94 Accord wagon started up an dgot me to work with no problems, then it rained, heavily, all day and she wouldn't start up to get me home. I turn the key, the engine fires up, and 1-2 seconds later it dies.

fast forward to this morning, over the last 4 weeks we have replaced the ignition switch, spark plugs, distributor and cap, fuel filter.

After changing the distributor it finally started and I excitedly drove it to Wendy's for a celebratory burger. Unfortunately about 3 miles in she died and went back to the same symptom of firing up and sounding perfectly healthy for all of 2 seconds.

Got it home and finally learned how to check the code without a machine (thanks Honda!) and I'm getting code 15. my research tells me this is an ignition problem and generally means one of two things: Distributor or ignition coil!

So I went and got a new coil and put it in, got all my connections good and BAM! she lives!

So I ran it for about an hour in the driveway to make sure it would hold, and it did, so I drove it to work the next day, went on a lunch break, drove home, drove to the store, etc etc, no problems

this morning I go out to leave for work, start the car just fine, and spend a few minutes changing CD's and she dies. Now Im at square one - starts for 1-2 seconds and dies. I didn't have time to check the code this morning but I will when I get home from work.

Hopefully thats enough information. What do you think? I'm ready to push it off a cliff

Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM

Welcome in,sounds like you have all the bases covered,The coil could have gone bad,I have seen it happen,I just replaced a new starter on my neighbors car and the dam thing cranked fine this morning nothing, pulled the starter and had it check ,sure enough bad.Just because it's been replaced don't mean it's good pull codes again and see what it says. Good luck.