Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

Smell & smoke from A/C vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Default Smell & smoke from A/C vents

Hi all,
I have a '93 Accord. Parked it after a 90 mile drive. Three hours later, I opened the front passenger side door, opened the trunk, and my friend called me from the front passenger seat to say that smoke was coming out of the center A/C vents.

I saw a thin, wispy, whitish smoke oozing out in such a fashion that it made me think there should be "Swami" music playing. The smoke didn't linger but dissipated very quickly, almost like water vapor. But there was a peculiar burned smell to it, so obviously this was indeed smoke.

I checked under the hood, yet neither saw nor smelled anything out of the ordinary there. The smoke inside had gone away so I finished packing my gear and drove the car back 90 miles. No problems, no smells, the A/C worked fine. But the radio, instead of reading stations such as 94.7 or 106.7, read 1888 accompanied with static. So I turned it off. (But then we were in the country, between cities.) The dash clock, although slow, read close to the actual time.

After reaching home and parking, I went on an errand several hours later. Again, the car ran fine with the exception that the dash clock had reset itself to 1:00 and all of my radio station presets had disappeared. I reset my stations on the drive, went into a store, came out 45 minutes later, and drove home. Again, the radio had reset and the clock read 1:07.

Six hours later, I went to check the clock and radio. Both had reset. I set one of the station buttons, turned the car off, turn on the ignition, and the setting stayed. Turned the ignition off, turned it back on. Now the radio won't come on. No lights, no sound, nothing.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but there are so many details here.

Does anyone have an idea as to what may be going on?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Sounds as though you have a wire shorted. might check under the dash real good for any wire shorts in the loom. It may be protected by a black tape or black plastic covering. Get yourself a factory service manual, it will help a lot to find or trace wires.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 AM

Thanks, Acnech52.
As I'm not a mechanic, I took the car in this morning to my mechanic. Told him about the smoke, etc, as well as the fact that the car started idling roughly right afterwards. Maybe there's a connection?

Bill

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 AM

So what did the mechanic tel you.and is the problem solved now?