The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda Accord Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-accord-forum-11/)
-   -   trouble starting on a steep hill (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-accord-forum-11/trouble-starting-steep-hill-6264/)

shollada 08-16-2010 01:45 PM

trouble starting on a steep hill

I have a 2002 honda accord (manual 5 speed) with about 100K miles. A week ago i parked the accord a hill for 4-5 hours in the hot sun. When i came back, i couldn't get it started. It had the normal cranking sound, but the engine seemed like it wasn't getting any gas (plenty of gas in the tank). I rolled the car out of the parking space into a flat area. I was going to try to push down the and pop clutch , but the car immediately starting when i turn the key on flat section. I haven't had a problem cranking since then. Any thoughts on what was wrong? Could that be sign of the fuel pump going bad?

extra note - Once every couple months or so, my accord will stall shortly after starting in the morning. I coast down a long hill to a stop sign where it stalls. So i'm not feeding it any gas for a period before stalling. It always immediately restarts. Thought it might be related.

thanks for any insight

acmech52 08-17-2010 04:16 AM

welcome to the forum. On the hot day on the hill, it could have had fuel vapor lock. check your idle cut off , and throttle valve n prosition sensors and clean them.

shollada 08-17-2010 03:13 PM

thanks for the advice!

Gorillamo 10-08-2010 08:39 PM

Similar problem but it's October

Hi,
I have a '92 Accord with automatic transmission. Just lately (within the last week or so), if I park with the car facing downhill, even slightly, I have trouble starting.

The battery is strong and the engine turns over, but doesn't catch. If I wait for about a minute after the first failed start, it will catch and continue to run. Or if I can roll down to a flat spot, then the car starts immediately!

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks,
Bill

xmechanic 10-08-2010 11:30 PM

Inspect for loose connections and corrosion at battery, starter, and alternator. After all those items are checked it's possible your vehicle might be suffering from a sulfated battery. When a battery is sulfated it means the material on the plates inside the battery has fallen off and settled in the bottom of the battery causing a short between the positive and negative terminals. Often this condition is noticed when the vehicle fails to start when parked on an incline. Most of the time a common battery test will not show this condition. Try swapping the battery out and recheck fir problem. A sulfated battery is most common in batteries that are a few years old or are frequently drained down ( radio on ect engine off)

Gorillamo 10-10-2010 01:53 PM

But would a sulfated battery still act like a new battery, in other words, turn the engine over with vigor?

xmechanic 10-10-2010 09:53 PM

A sulfated battery often acts like a battery that doesn't quite have enough power to get the job done and start the vehicle on an incline ( or completely dead) but will work normally the rest of the time. It may start cranking the motor but it's quickly noticeable that it's underperforming ( will stop cranking but once the key is cycled will do the same thing again or start right up). It's a hard to diagnose battery condition that will tie your brain in knots, and most often involves a car that won't start on a hill but will on a flat surface.

bucwheat 10-18-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by xmechanic (Post 14739)
A sulfated battery often acts like a battery that doesn't quite have enough power to get the job done and start the vehicle on an incline ( or completely dead) but will work normally the rest of the time. It may start cranking the motor but it's quickly noticeable that it's underperforming ( will stop cranking but once the key is cycled will do the same thing again or start right up). It's a hard to diagnose battery condition that will tie your brain in knots, and most often involves a car that won't start on a hill but will on a flat surface.

Never heard of this but makes since for sure.

Gorillamo 10-19-2010 12:39 PM

Hi Xmechanic,
Thanks for your comments about how a sulfated battery acts, but my situation obviously doesn't involve this problem. My battery turned the engine over very strongly, whether on an incline or on a flat spot.

Note: it's been one and one-half weeks since I originally posted. The evening of the 11th of October, I concentrated very hard on the problem, focused on the engine of my car, and for the past week and one-half, the problem hasn't come up at all. I've even gone out of my way to park the car on inclines and it starts up like a champ!

I must be a psychic-mechanic! I wonder if there's a way I can market this new-found talent . . .

bucwheat 10-19-2010 02:42 PM

If you have my luck ,just when you least expect it your walking. Hope the problem is over for ya.