Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

4 Hybrid Batteries in 5 Years...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Exclamation 4 Hybrid Batteries in 5 Years...

I have a 2008
Honda Honda
civic hybrid, 130k miles, good shape except...

In the 5 years I've had it, I've had 4, going on 5 (YES FIVE) different
hybrid hybrid
batteries in it, counting the original.
In 2014, my IMA light and check engine
light light
came on. I took it into a repair shop and they said, sure enough, the
hybrid hybrid
battery is deteriorated. Need to replace, so everyone knows that like $3k. Awful, but whatever, we paid for it. Drove it off the repair lot and within 5 miles the IMA and check engine light came back on. Turned right around and they cleared the codes and the lights kept coming back on. So they said, oops, the manufacturer (Dorman) must have shipped you a bad battery. So they order a replacement (under warranty) and put it in, and seemed to be fine. Fast forward to 2017, car sit in the cold for about 3 months with no driving, and IMA light and check engine light come back on. Take it into a Honda dealership this time and they say, battery deterioration, need a new hybrid battery. Really?? Thank God it was still under the 3 year warranty, but just barely. Long story short, go back and forth with the retailer for 6 MONTHS, until they finally honor the warranty. So the dealership replaces the
battery battery
, and I drive it off the lot... within 5 minutes both IMA and check
engine engine
light are on. Again.. turn right around and back to the dealership, understandably frustrated. They clear the codes, of course the lights all come back on, and they pull the code POA7F, which apparently also means battery deterioration. So, they tell me... the manufacturer must have sent you a bad battery. You need to get it warrantied... again. Common, this can't be real! There's got to be something else that is causing this code, right? Someone said it could be the CPU is damaged?? I can't wait another 6 months for the retailer to finally get me another new battery, and now no one is returning my calls, and the dealership is telling me there is no other explanation and basically not to bring it back unless I have a new battery. Oh, and I paid over $1000 while it was at the dealership to get all new tires and fix a few other things because I need to sell this car, but no one is going to buy it with all these
lights lights
on. Please, someone help!!!

Old 02-10-2018, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. have you tried talking to American Honda. they may be able to help you after you explain the above to them.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 PM

welcome to the forum.