The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda Civic Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-civic-forum-12/)
-   -   Civic overheats, multiple mechanics, same diagnosis, NO SOLUTIONS! (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-civic-forum-12/civic-overheats-multiple-mechanics-same-diagnosis-no-solutions-7582/)

Chiclalis09 11-06-2011 04:55 PM

Civic overheats, multiple mechanics, same diagnosis, NO SOLUTIONS!

Hey! We have a 2002 Civic LX with 98,000+ miles. My boyfriend got it in March and around June it started to overheat. My boyfriend drove it to work everyday, about a 30 min drive, and when he was getting close to his job it would start to overheat. When we used the a/c it would heat up even faster.
I would use the car to drive into downtown to the hospital area, about a 30 min drive, and it never overheated for me. But in the past 2 months, we were only able to drive the car for about 20 minutes, without the A/C and 10 or less with the A/C. Now, it can barely drive 10 min without the A/C.
My boyfriend put the fan directly to the battery so when we need to drive a high distance we connect the fan so it won't over heat as fast. It lasts longer like this but it will eventually do the same thing. The transmission light will turn on, and then if i have to make a stop, the engine will turn off. I have to put the car in park, turn the key to off, wait a few seconds and then turn it on again. And when on, it'll runs at no more than 5mph. I have to let it sit, open the hood and let it cool off for about 30 min. (You have no idea how hard it is to push this car in heels all alone!)

We've taken it to many mechanics and they all say the same thing- "It's the catalyzer"...
The Catalyzer is NEW
Oxygen sensors are NEW
the fuse for the fan is NEW (cause it wasn't working so it wouldn't automatically turn on)
the thermometer is fine
AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING!!

A friend told me it may be a package in the motor that eats away when the car is ran up to red on the thermometer. Anyone know anything about this??

Any suggestions, ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated. Even if you know a mechanic here in Houston that can help, we're open to suggestions. Thanks!

lowlife9 11-06-2011 10:47 PM

sounds like you have a blown head gasket to me. take the car to autozone or pepboys most auto parts stores have a chemical kit to test your oil for leaking engine coolant caused by a bad head gasket. if it is the head gasket be prepared to pay alot of money to have it replaced its a very time consuming job. also i just noticed you said it has 98,000 miles you were due for a water pump replacement 8,000 miles ago a bad water pump could have led the car to overheat probably causing the gasket failure. you were also suppose to replace the timing belt 8,000 miles ago if that timing belt snaps your going to have to replace the entire engine which will probably cost as much as the car is worth get that done ASAP !!!

acmech52 11-10-2011 09:22 AM

welcome to the forum. check to see if your radiator is clogged up on the top. If the previous owner did not change the anti-freeze the possibilities of at clogged radiator is possible. if you have the fan connected direct to battery and on when the engine is running and still getting hot, the rad may be clogged or the timing is to retarded.

bucwheat 11-15-2011 09:09 AM

I agree,try flushing the radiator and see what you get out of it,it may need to be rodded out(boiled ) at a radiator shop.

Derek_Miller 11-21-2011 09:57 AM

Hi there, could you find out what the problem is and fix it? Cuz i think my mom's car is starting to do the same thing. Even she has a black 2002 civic. Thanks for the suggestions here!