The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda Civic Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-civic-forum-12/)
-   -   Question about peeling paint (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-civic-forum-12/question-about-peeling-paint-186/)

ElisabethCB 05-11-2006 09:12 AM

Question about peeling paint

I need help about a little run in I had with my new Civic yesterday. I was looking over my car for scratches, and noticed this scuff like scratch. I knew I didn’t hit anything with my car, so I instinctively tried to rub it off. Upon trying to rub it off, there seemed to be some trouble with me getting it off. It looked like it was starting to peel this plastic-like layer on the car! I was mad, but couldn’t even believe that the paint on the metal surface would peel like that! I started to rub harder at that point because I was really mad that my car was basically “peeling”. Once I rubbed long enough, I had trouble locating where the spot was. Does this mean it wasn’t peeling? I know it’s an odd question, but it’s been raining for days and days and I haven’t been able to get a good enough look. I’m afraid that if my car really was peeling (at not even a year old and absolutely NO major OR minor accidents with it) that I made it worse by rubbing it. In my mind, it doesn’t make sense for the paint to peel that way on the METAL. It’s metal, you know? If there was a ascratch wouldn’t it be more of a line on the paint, not PEELING? The painted metal is hard enough to scratch as it is. Does anybody know if a car can actually peel? I know plastic parts can, but I am referring to the metal. Like I said, once I rubbed vigorously with my towel, it went away but I’m not sure if that’s because I spread it around and made a bigger problem for myself. Needless to say I forgot where the exact spot is. I just want somebody to either assure me that it was most likely not peeling, or let me know what I can do about the peeling if that is what has happened… and more importantly, why a car that hasn’t been scratched at all would peel away this plastic type film on the hard metal painted surface? Seriously, WHY? I’m so mad right now. I regret buying a Honda, it is nearly impossible to keep the appearance of the car. If my car truly is peeling then take it from me…. Just buy a VW if you are looking into a new car. Those babies hold up real nice mechanically and appearance wise. PLEASE HELP! Thank you.

Ladybug94 05-11-2006 01:26 PM

RE: Question about peeling paint

Ok, i take it that you are talking about the clear coat on your car right? Well if that is what you are talking about that is pretty common. Did you car get painted by some body shop or by a dealer? if it got painted by a dealer then you should go back to the dealer and tell them what happend and that you would like it fixed. If it was a body shop then you can go back there and tell them they did a bad job. ummmmm...... you paint can peel, but then only way it would do that is if someone hit YOU or you just got a really bad paint job, or something hit that spot on your car. By trying to fix it yourself you might of just made it worse, but its hard to say without looking at your car....but it is honda paint and honda paint is pretty cheap!!! lol! goodluck i hope this helps