Honda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Honda Civic Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HCF? Tell us here.

Airbag deployment

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Default Airbag deployment

My son has a 2016 Civic, while on a trip he hit a curve going about 10 mph. There was some significant undercarriage damn, mostly cosmetic. The one thing that I thought was unusual is that the impact was on the driver side however the passenger side airbag deployed, and the windshield was shattered mainly on the passenger side as well. Getting ready to go into the dealership and do some battle because I do not feel that a) the airbag should have deployed, and b) I do not understand why the windshield shattered .

Has as anyone had a similar situation with their Civic????

Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. i helped at a tow yard, (b) windshield shatter due to the only place the airbag can be placed for the passenger is in the dash under the windshield due to the glove box and fan air are just below of it. it blows up and out in front of the passenger, power is so strong and fast it always cracks the windshield. also the slope of the front windshield does not help. only info i have on the airbag on the pax side is if no one is in the pass seat the airbag should be off, also if there is an infant under 65#'s it shuts off. (don't understand as you stated, why the pax side went off when drivers side hit)

Old 08-06-2018, 07:26 AM
LDB

Curve or curb? Was there something or someone heavy in the passenger seat that would have activated the airbag? Otherwise the "passenger airbag off" icon should have been lighted and that airbag off. Good luck.